Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA should have an easy way to put it on a u3drive #197

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 8 comments
Closed

NVDA should have an easy way to put it on a u3drive #197

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mike.reiser on 2008-10-15 16:00
Currently, inorder to allow NVDA to operate successfully on a u3 drive, one currently needs to create an autorun.inf file by hand which points to the nvda.exe file on the u3 drive. While this autorun file is easy to create for experienced computer users, it seems to me that a beginner or somewhat experienced user would be un comfortable doing this task and should have an intuitive way of doing this. I can invision either a utility built into NVDA or packaged with it that would do the following.

1. Ask the user for the location of there u3 drive.
  2. When the u3 location is given, copy the nvda files and create an autorun.inf file for the user that will launch nvda when the drive is insirted. System access has something like this for copying it to a u3 drive and this would be great for nvda. Of course it should throw an error if a non u3 drive is attempted. I'm not sure if this should be packaged with the official nvda or the portable version. If there is a program for doing this already feel free to put it here, I just thought I'd open this for discussion.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by m.gregnanin (in reply to comment description) on 2008-10-15 17:16
Hi Mike,

if James and Mick agree on this point, considering that we already worked on an U3 version of the PenVDA, we would like to host a free U3 version (without the Eloquence Synthetizer and Driver) of the NVDA on our website http://www.sirecognizer.com and/or on the italian NVDA community web site.
This version would be accessible to all users and would of course be free. Users that would instead prefer the version with the Eloquence Synthetizer should buy the regular and licensed PenVDA package from the italian NVDA community on http://www.nvda.it/?q=node/37 which already includes a 4GB U3 Stick, Eloquence Driver and Synthetizer.
Bye,

Marco

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2008-10-15 17:26
There is an article on RunningNVDAFromAnU3Drive which replaces the U3 launchpad with another launcher. Unfortunately, this launcher appears to suffer from accessibility problems, although I understand this is also true for the U3 launchpad.

I know little about U3 drives, but as I understand it, it isn't quite as simple as creating an autorun.inf file. At the very least, the autorun.inf needs to appear on the partition that appears as a CDROM drive.

Marco, your proposal sounds good for stable releases. However:

• If we are going to support this officially, we should make it available from the NVDA project site.
  • I'm not sure what is involved in creating a U3 version of NVDA. However, it would be good to automate this so that users can build their own U3 versions of NVDA. This would allow snapshots, etc. to be used.
  • Do you use the U3 launchpad or some other U3 launcher such as that used in RunningNVDAFromAnU3Drive?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mike.reiser (in reply to comment 1) on 2008-10-15 22:59
Replying to m.gregnanin:

Hi Mike,

if James and Mick agree on this point, considering that we already worked on an U3 version of the PenVDA, we would like to host a free U3 version (without the Eloquence Synthetizer and Driver) of the NVDA on our website http://www.sirecognizer.com and/or on the italian NVDA community web site.

This version would be accessible to all users and would of course be free. Users that would instead prefer the version with the Eloquence Synthetizer should buy the regular and licensed PenVDA package from the italian NVDA community on http://www.nvda.it/?q=node/37 which already includes a 4GB U3 Stick, Eloquence Driver and Synthetizer.

Bye,

MarcoOThis sounds like a great idea. I agree with jamey here that this should be odimated and hopefully encluded in the official distrobution of nvda so everyone can build there u3 drive copy.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2009-05-01 07:10
Changes:
Milestone changed from 0.6 to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by Bernd on 2012-07-13 21:59
Well, as NVDA is now able to build portable versions may we could add an checkbox to put an autorun.inf into the root folder on the USB-Thumb Drive.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2012-07-16 00:34
autorun.inf doesn't work on many system configurations. We did have an option to create autorun.inf, but it was removed because of the confusion this caused. U3 drives are different and auto starting from them has to be done differently.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

Is this still relevant since modern computers won't execute programs from usb's even if asked to do so, without user intervention?

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I've read on the Dutch Wikipedia that U3 has been obsolete for many years now. I'd like to vote for a won't fix

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants