Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Consistency with capitalisation in the NVDA menu #1980

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 1, 2011 · 8 comments
Closed

Consistency with capitalisation in the NVDA menu #1980

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 1, 2011 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2011-12-01 09:47
In the main NVDA menu, capitalisation should be made consistent throughout all options. For example, the list of keyboard shortcuts is written as Keyboard Command Quick Reference, however the general settings dialog is written as "General settings", where as it should be "General Settings", etc. This applies to all options throughout the menu.

I realise not many people read letter-by-letter throughout the dialog and it's probably me just being picky, but I guess it's good to have consistancy.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-12-01 10:15
I agree. However, the more common convention I can see in the NVDA menu is to not use title case (so only upper case the first letter of the item) and it's fair to argue that these aren't titles. Although it's certainly more common to use title case, there are other applications such as foobar2000 which only upper case the first letter, so I don't see any need to change this. This also means there are less items to change. In fact, the only one I can find right now is "Keyboard Command Quick Reference". :)
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 2) on 2011-12-01 10:47
Replying to jteh:

I agree. However, the more common convention I can see in the NVDA menu is to not use title case (so only upper case the first letter of the item) and it's fair to argue that these aren't titles. Although it's certainly more common to use title case, there are other applications such as foobar2000 which only upper case the first letter, so I don't see any need to change this. This also means there are less items to change. In fact, the only one I can find right now is "Keyboard Command Quick Reference". :)

Fair enough. Although, as far as I can see, foobar2000 isn't capatalised at all. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2011-12-01 10:48
Replying to elliott94:

Fair enough. Although, as far as I can see, foobar2000 isn't capatalised at all. :)

I mean its menu items, not the title of the application. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by orcauser on 2011-12-29 12:50
Ok, following Jamie's suggestion, only the first word is capitalized in the menues.

main:4867 fixes the mensioned issue, and removes double spaces/small other inconsistancies in our messages.

We need to look at the dialog names and make sure they are consistant too, filed as #2015.

Thanks.
Changes:
Milestone changed from near-term to 2012.1
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by elliott94 on 2015-07-08 09:03
I've noticed several more menu entries, which I've outlined below. As I previously mentioned when I initially opened this ticket, I realise that this doesn't have any effect on the user experience in any way whatsoever but consistency is always good! :)

Tools Menu:

Create Portable copy... > Create portable copy...

Help Menu:

User Guide > User guide

Commands Quick Reference > Commands quick reference

NVDA web site > NVDA website

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by leonarddr on 2015-07-08 09:27
I think I can dive into this if changing these inconsistencies is desired. As far as I know, it is a mainly used approach to capitalise both first letters of the words User and Guide, for example.
Changes:
Changed title from "Consistancy with capitalisation in the NVDA menu" to "Consistency with capitalisation in the NVDA menu"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by leonarddr (in reply to comment 6) on 2015-07-08 09:43
Changed those in https://bitbucket.org/leonardder/nvda/branch/t1980
Since I'm in a conservative mood today, i left web site as it is. Although not often used anymore, it is still accepted and correct. For more info, read this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 8) on 2015-07-08 11:08
Replying to leonarddr:

As far as I know, it is a mainly used approach to capitalise both first letters of the words User and Guide, for example.

I agree (the convention of naming in this way is known as "title case"). However, as noted in comment:2, for NVDA in particular it was chosen several years ago to simply capitalise the first letter only, although I admit that I would have chosen title case for this purpose. Jamie, is this still your view on how capitalisation within menus should be presented?

Replying to leonarddr:

Changed those in https://bitbucket.org/leonardder/nvda/branch/t1980

Since I'm in a conservative mood today, i left web site as it is. Although not often used anymore, it is still accepted and correct. For more info, read this.

Thank you for making the changes (and correcting my spelling error!) :) I assume that they will be reviewed/merged into NVDA at a later date. Just out of interest, does anyone have any further ideas on "website" vs "web site"? I realise that the latter is still used, although the former seems to be standard in most cases.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant