Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

support for HTML 5 audio/video elements #2063

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 26, 2012 · 9 comments
Closed

support for HTML 5 audio/video elements #2063

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 26, 2012 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jfauchon on 2012-01-26 18:43
Hello,

I have a suggestion, can you make support for HTML 5 please. Because, on Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, NVDA not detect for example, audio, video and others html 5 tags.

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-01-26 21:09
Please provide example URLs.

NVDA already supports HTML5 audio/video in Firefox if the page specifies that browser controls should be used. If the page implements its own playback controls, it is up to the page to ensure they are accessible.

This may not be possible in IE without changes to IE itself.
Changes:
Changed title from "support for HTML 5" to "support for HTML 5 audio/video elements"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-01-26 21:13
Example HTML 5 video using browser controls: http://shapeshed.com/examples/HTML5-video-element/

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Nov 29, 2013

Attachment audio_controlsProperty_ie_test.html added by advck1123 on 2013-11-29 00:43
Description:

Edit:
Attachment from old trac server. Please rename to audio_controlsProperty_ie_test.html
audio_controlsProperty_ie_test.html.txt

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by advck1123 on 2013-11-29 00:45
Hi. I'am attach the source file:audio_controlsProperty_ie_test.html.
Test bbrowser: ie11.
NVDA is not recognition(pause orplay, mute button). Please support audio element in ie.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by bart.simons on 2013-12-11 14:28
The HTML5 audio controls do work in Firefox (not in internet explorer 9). When the audio plays, NVDA plays also the beepings that are associated with progress bars. This is very annoying to listen to the audio while the progress bar is beeping. Example page: http://examples.anysurfer.be/html5/audio/fr/ (under the heading "example")

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh @feerrenrut Could the attachment in #2063 (comment) please be restored? Does it demonstrate the inaccessibility reported by the original author on more recent versions of web browsers? If not, I suggest closing as worksforme.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

I have attached the file to #2063 (comment), @bhavyashah would you be able to test this / investigate further?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@feerrenrut Alright. Findings are as follows:

• Firefox version 54.0.1 displays two sliders, Play(/Pause) and Mute buttons, so all works as expected.
  • Chrome (latest stable version) also works as with Firefox, with the addition of a Download Media option (unrelated to NVDA and accessibility).
  • Internet Explorer 11, NVDA reads, because I believe the browser itself shows - ' This browser is not support audio element.'
    I seriously doubt that IE supports these HTML 5 controls inherently and NVDA is unable to read them, because from the message pasted above, it seems to me that the browser, i.e. IE, itself fails to render these HTML 5 elements. Having said that, this seems to be an IE specific issue, and due to its demise, investigating this any further may not be justified. Time to close? @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 9, 2017

Closing, as the HTML5 video element works in Firefox and Chrome, and acording to #2063 (comment),
"This may not be possible in IE without changes to IE itself."
Closing as Internet Explorer, NeedsExternalFix, cantfix

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants