Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Browse mode cannot be used on some older iTunes Store pages #2069

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 30, 2012 · 8 comments
Closed

Browse mode cannot be used on some older iTunes Store pages #2069

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 30, 2012 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by challsworth2 on 2012-01-30 16:57
Here is how you can duplicate the issue reported in the summary field.

1. Open iTunes.
  2. In the iTunes store, click redeem.
  3. On the next page, click give a gift on iTunes.
  4. You should notice that focus mode is active and browse mode is unavailable. You will know this as NVDA says, "iTunes store document".
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-01-31 01:27
Damn. This section of the store doesn't seem to use !WebKit, but some other custom (and rather buggy) browser.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ppatel on 2012-01-31 11:56
The iTunes Store page for updating apps also exhibits the same behavior that is described in the original report. In addition, I can note the following characteristics after testing. When attempting to tab through the updates page, NVDA announces "unknown." However the focus is changing. The first time the tab key is pressed, the "download all" link is highlighted and spoken. Subsequent presses of tab or shift+tab result in "unknown" being announced. The same behavior is apparent when all the updates are downloaded and the "done" button appears.
Changes:
Changed title from "On the "give a gift on iTunes" page, browse mode cannot be used." to "On the "give a gift & download updates iTunes" pages, browse mode cannot be used."

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-01-31 12:23
Aside from the fact that this isn't !WebKit (which at worst means we'll need yet another browse mode backend), the implementation is also rather buggy. The reason you hear "unknown" is because iTunes is firing focus events with the wrong window handle. Worse, it also seems to fire a focus event just before the unknown one that refers to another copy of the object which is impossible to associate with the object presented as part of the document. I guess I'll have to see whether I can find a way to hack around yet more iTunes brokenness. :(

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ppatel on 2012-01-31 12:35
I'm reporting this bug to my Apple contacts. I'll try to do more testing over th weekend to see if there are any other pages that have the same or similar behavior.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-02-02 03:10
We've had some contact with Apple about this. These pages are currently delivered with the older custom XML framework which was used before !WebKit. The aim is to eventually convert everything to HTML, but some pages haven't yet been converted. Since the custom XML browser is slowly going away, they aren't really supporting it any more. Therefore, they are going to see about prioritising the conversion of pages that are particular problems.

I've already notified them about the pages listed here plus a few others. If there are any others that affect you, please comment here.
Changes:
Changed title from "On the "give a gift & download updates iTunes" pages, browse mode cannot be used." to "Browse mode cannot be used on some older iTunes Store pages"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by challsworth2 on 2012-02-02 20:09
Here is another page that doesn't use web kit. If you own an Apple iOS device, and there are apps that has updates available. So you got the updates on the iOS device, but not the PC. So on the PC side your iTunes may say, "apps, 1 update available". So you click the button next to that, and there you are. The page appears but like the give a gift on iTunes page it is near impossible to navigate because browse mode isn't there.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh (in reply to comment 6) on 2012-02-02 21:37
Replying to challsworth2:

If you own an Apple iOS device, and there are apps that has updates available.

This was already noted in comment:2.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2012-02-07 21:43
Given that this XML browser is going away and Apple are prioritising conversion of problematic pages, it makes little sense for us to support this browser. However, please comment here if there are any additional pages that we need to notify Apple about.
Changes:
Added labels: wontfix
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants