Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

No footnote number indication when footnote follows punctuation #2071

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 30, 2012 · 3 comments
Closed

No footnote number indication when footnote follows punctuation #2071

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 30, 2012 · 3 comments
Assignees
Labels
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jiwi on 2012-01-30 20:50
Hello,

First, I want to congratulate you on the phenomenal job you've done implementing advanced formatting feedback in Word. I often write research articles that include extensive footnotes and endnotes, so the new info is invaluable, and I'm glad I don't have to switch screen readers anymore to get it.

Now to the bug, (if indeed it is one and I'm not just missing something), I notice that when reading by line, NVDA will announce footnote numbers if they are adjacent to letters, but not if they follow punctuation. I frequently place them after periods and commas in my text, so NVDA doesn't speak them unless I move by character. I've worked around it by turning on font attributes so that I can hear when the font switches to superscript, but I'd prefer to hear "footnote 1" as I would if there were no punctuation. Thanks for your help and keep up the great work!.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2012-02-21 04:09
This is reproducible, and I have a good idea on how to fix this. I will look in to it.
Technical notes:
Currently NVDA only checks for a footnote or endnote at the beginning of each chunk (word). In many cases MS Word breaks words where footnotes and endnotes appear, but not directly after punctuation it seems.
After rendering the text for a chunk, we must then check the text for note marks (ascii 2), and if they exist anywhere in the chunk, then we should then render footnote and endnote controlFields at the end, with the correct amount and proper index values according to the footnote and endnote collections for the current range.
The only drawback to this is that all the footnotes and endnotes will be spoken at the end of the word, even if they really appeared somewhere in the middle. However, as pointed out, this only seems to happen after punctuation... at least they will always get spoken. This would ahve been more of a problem when we still used characterFormatting ranges as well.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2012.1

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran on 2012-02-22 03:17
Fixed in bc80550.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-02-22 03:39
Braille needs to be updated to handle this new value attribute as well. This should be a fairly simple change around line 521 of braille.py. I can't test as I don't have Word installed.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants