Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA Should have an option to reset to default configuration #2086

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 4, 2012 · 10 comments
Closed

NVDA Should have an option to reset to default configuration #2086

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 4, 2012 · 10 comments
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ateu on 2012-02-04 22:32
Hello,

Received from the portuguese list.

It's really useful when uninstalling nvda, can keep the user's setttings, because the user may wish install other version with same settings.
But in other cases, due to problems, we may wish remove the settings, because thenself is causing the problems.
Therefore, nvda should have an option to the user remove or not remove the nvda settings.

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-02-04 22:34
One of the problems with such an option is that there may be settings for other users on the system or NVDA might be uninstalled using another account.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ateu on 2012-02-05 00:20
Hi,

Is it not possible detect the settings for the corrent user and ignore other settings?

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2012-02-05 06:35
As far as i can tell there is only the one .ini file. However if this does become currupt or missing I notice nvda shoves up a box asking what to do, so maybe the user concerned can just set a batch file up to do a delete or comove of the ini file which then forces nvda to create a new one.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ragb on 2012-02-05 16:12
An alternative would be to provide an option to revert to default configuration on NVDA's preferences.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by orcauser (in reply to comment 4) on 2012-02-05 17:13
Replying to ragb:

An alternative would be to provide an option to revert to default

configuration in NVDA's preferences.

I Agree that this is the better alternative.
We have had users screw up their settings before, and being able to tell them to just reset to default, rather than having to go and delete would be nice and clean.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2012-07-25 08:02
9715eb7 provides an option to do this from within NVDA, either via the keyboard or the NVDA menu. Is that sufficient for the reporter or is something else desired?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 6) on 2012-07-25 09:19
Replying to jteh:

9715eb7 provides an option to do this from within NVDA, either via the keyboard or the NVDA menu. Is that sufficient for the reporter or is something else desired?

I think they mean that when uninstalling NVDA itself, the uninstaller should ask the user as to whether they want to keep their existing settings, or have them removed as well. Obviously if the user wanted them removed, it'd probably just be easier to remove the entire %appdata%\nvda directory, and give a warning that all custom add-ons will be removed in addition to any custom configuration.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by ragb on 2012-07-25 10:01
In my opinion the reset to default option does what is needed. Having another option, a bit redudant, on the uninstaller, may bring just confusion.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by ateu on 2012-07-25 11:36
In my opinion, it's fixed.
This tycket is a request from the portuguese list to clean up the user Configurations when having problems with customizations.
Therefore, don't make senses create another option, as users can now do this simply reseting them to the factory defaults.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2012-07-25 23:46
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA Should have an option to remove the user's settings" to "NVDA Should have an option to reset to default configuration"
Milestone changed from None to 2012.3

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant