Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

MetecBD 40 braille display driver. #2106

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 14, 2012 · 8 comments
Closed

MetecBD 40 braille display driver. #2106

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 14, 2012 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by MHameed on 2012-02-14 12:44
Attached is a braille display driver for the Metec bd40 as privately emailed to me by:

Mr Shankar
braille section team.
Anna Centenary Library
Chennai

I understand that this driver was developed by the producers of MeTec and provided to the governmental library, but they are currently not intrested in maintaining it.

It is working fine with nvda 2011.1, and 2011.3, (english)
but they are currently having problems with the tamil braille table, which I am hoping to help them resolve.

I also know that the MeTec displays are being used in Egypt, and those users would be very intrested in this.

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment MeTecBD40.zip added by orcauser on 2012-02-14 12:49
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-02-14 22:26
I'm reluctant to include a driver which no one will maintain. It means that if there are any code changes that need to be made, whether in this current version or in the future, we can't be sure that the driver will continue to work. There are already areas of this code that I would want improved or cleaned up before inclusion. Obviously, this doesn't mean others can't use the driver as a separate component for now.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by orcauser on 2012-02-25 09:39
Sorry I don't understand how this situation is diffrent from any other braille driver that is already included in NVDA.
Who is currently responsible for maintaining them?
Assuming users continue wanting to use their braille display with NVDA, I guess they would report any issues that arise.

When you get a moment can you please document the required changes?

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-02-26 22:37
For all existing drivers, either Mick or I wrote the driver ourselves (and have access to a display) or the person who submitted the driver is willing to maintain it. In this case, the author is unwilling to maintain it even before it's been cleaned up for inclusion, which does not bode well for future issues. Even if I provide code review (which looks like it could be fairly significant), the author is unwilling to make and test the changes and therefore we can't be sure the updated code will actually work without a great deal of back and forth between us and users.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by MHameed on 2013-04-25 05:16
Shankar, is this still working with latest nvda?
Maybe it can be made into an addon.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2013-04-25 05:26
For what it's worth, if no one is willing to maintain this, I can probably clean it up if the company can loan me a display (with shipping at their expense). I would also need technical documentation. There is still the problem of future changes, but I guess we can cross that bridge if it arises. At least if I'm familiar with the code and the display, I'll have some chance of understanding any issues that do arise.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Did any of the suggestions you provided in #2106 (comment) ever materialize? I believe not, and I thus suggest closing. @ehollig

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 15, 2017

No progress was made. We'd of course be happy to support this display, but we'd need someone to at least initially work with us to address code issues or a loan of a display and documentation as outlined earlier. Closing.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants