Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

a way to read current page's url when inside virtual buffer without going into location bar #211

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleksey_s on 2008-10-27 13:53
subj. for example, in jaws it is attached on ctrl+a. i believe we can generalize this to read location bar in current application. just implement different methods in explorer and firefox to receive this info.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2008-11-02 19:49
I don't follow why accessing the location bar is problematic. Having an additional keystroke seems redundant. Nevertheless, this should probably not be implemented in virtual buffers, as it is not really relevant to the buffer (which is I think what you are indicating in your description). Putting it into the appModule makes a lot of sense. The only problem with this is that it then won't work, for example, in an application which uses Gecko but is not Firefox.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by aleksey_s (in reply to comment 1) on 2008-11-02 21:16
Replying to jteh:

I don't follow why accessing the location bar is problematic.

nvda speaks too mutch when i press ctrl+l. i just want listen to the current page url without lossing my page position etc.

Nevertheless, this should probably not be implemented in virtual buffers, as it is not really relevant to the buffer (which is I think what you are indicating in your description).

i disagree. why buffer can not contain "source" field where such info might be stored? for example, if we implement virtual buffer for the word documents, it will contain document file name.

Putting it into the appModule makes a lot of sense. The only problem with this is that it then won't work, for example, in an application which uses Gecko but is not Firefox.

it is why i suggest thus field in virtual buffer internally. if in some situations it is hard to determine source, "unknown" might be reported.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2008-11-02 22:03
Replying to aleksey_s:

Nevertheless, this should probably not be implemented in virtual buffers, as it is not really relevant to the buffer (which is I think what you are indicating in your description).

i disagree. why buffer can not contain "source" field where such info might be stored?

It could, but I'd argue this isn't correct. This information is internal to the buffer, whereas you basically want the location that is visible to everyone else. Most of the time, these should be the same, but not always.

for example, if we implement virtual buffer for the word documents, it will contain document file name.

We will probably never use the same virtual buffer concept for Word. Besides, in Word, you can just hit NVDA+t to access this info anyway.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2009-05-18 05:39
Changes:
Milestone changed from 0.6 to None

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I'm leaning towards a close, since this ticket is abandoned for a long time. Furthermore, after you've read the web address in the address bar by pressing alt+d or control+l, you can usually switch back to where you were using shift+f6.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants