Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Object Labeler Functionality #2111

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 17, 2012 · 34 comments
Open

Object Labeler Functionality #2111

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 17, 2012 · 34 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ateu on 2012-02-17 00:37
Hello

Sometimes, when using object navigation, we navigate controls which NVDA only anounces the control's name (in my job, for example, i use an application which has many inaccessible buttons, and when I use object navigation, I heard just "button" or simply unknown.)
Also, when it ocurrs, the flat review does not detect them.
For this reazon, it would be so good nNVDA provides a graphic labeler.
It would be associated with the object navigation, as it provides the control tipe.
As well as the symbols, the graphic info would be saved in the user config, in a file specially made for it.
The command key used to activate the graphic labeler would be NVDA+g.

Thanks
Blocking #4391

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by orcauser on 2012-02-20 13:22
Yes you are right, it would be quite useful to have this feature, and we have had several requests for this on the arabic-nvda list.

Feature inplemented in the labelObjects branch.
If you are able to run from source, then please try it.

@jamie:
please review, it seems to be working ok on the virtual machine, but unable to get accurate timings to see if i am reducing performance considerably.
What do you think about using yaml to store the label data, that way it is human readable too.

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ateu on 2012-02-20 14:44
Hello,

Unfortunately I can't run from the source code. Can you please send me the modiffyed files to marlinfilos@hotmail.com or say the entire adress where I can find them/

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ragb on 2012-02-20 14:54
Quick comments:

I labeled some object s in explorer (files) and it worked. Tried to label some buttons on skype and the start button but labels were not reported...

Regarding the labels file format I'd say that any readable format is good, we can have an idea what NVDa is labeling without requiring many debug activities... Moreover, if you agree, it will be good that label data is stored in userconfig/labels to not cluter the config directory with label files.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by orcauser on 2012-02-20 19:41
Replying to ateu:

Can you please send me the modified files or say the entire adress where I can find them?

I am afraid I don't think sending files will help, because the modified files are part of nvda and therefore you will not be able to replace them because you are running a compiled and prepackaged version.
But now that Rui is also able to test, we should be able to find and eliminate problems.

Replying to ragb:

Tried to label some buttons on skype and the start button but labels were > not reported...

Yes, I can not label the start button either, not exactly sure why this is, especially if the desktop has the focus.

Unfortunately Skype always crashes in virtualbox (a well known error) so can't test.
Can you find another example of an application that fails to label correctly?

Have moved the logging to log.info until we sort out all problems, so please try again with skype and lets see if the log can explain.

Regarding the labels file format I'd say that any readable format is good, we can have an idea what NVDa

is labeling without requiring many debug activities...

yaml seems nice and very readable, but it would introduce another dependancy.

the changeset,labelObjects:5018 switches from pickle to yaml.
Please install pyaml for python 2.7 and try again.
http://pyyaml.org/wiki/PyYAML

Moreover, if you agree, it will be good that label data is stored in userconfig/labels to not cluter

the config directory with label files.

Sorry I had a typo (now fixed), they were intended to go into the appModules folder next to the appModule it matches, we can always move them if this is not what we want.

Thanks for your testing.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-02-20 21:19
I haven't actually reviewed the code yet, but a few quick comments:

1. I am very concerned about performance here. Using object paths will be extremely slow in applications with a lot of objects and a lot of labels. My guess is that it's O(n^3), which is pretty nasty. We're likely to have all sorts of bugs filed about performance problems.
    • I've often wondered whether we could come up with code to try to uniquely identify objects using various properties, only resorting to path as the last resort. The problem is that this isn't guaranteed to work without human intervention.
  2. Related to (1), if we do merge this, I would think labels should never be distributed in this form with the main NVDA distribution.
  3. Rather than introducing another external dependency, what about using json? This isn't currently used by NVDA, but at least it's part of the standard library.
  4. One of the issues i have with application specific configuration is that many executables now host many applications. For example, this will be a total disaster if someone tries labelling an object on a web page. As another example, !OpenOffice.org hosts all of its applications within the one executable. Any Python code that runs from source will run in python.exe or pythonw.exe. This trend is only going to grow. Unfortunately, I don't really have a solution to this, but it is one of the biggest reasons I have always been against implementing application specific config.

I'll try to provide more review and feedback soon.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by ragb (in reply to comment 4) on 2012-02-20 21:37
Replying to orcauser:

But now that Rui is also able to test, we should be able to find and eliminate problems.

Replying to ragb:

Tried to label some buttons on skype and the start button but labels were > not reported...

Yes, I can not label the start button either, not exactly sure why this is, especially if the desktop has the focus.

I can't label anything now, with revision 5018

See what contains my explorer_labels (in yaml) after trying to label start menu and recyclebin:

? ''
: !!python/tuple
- [!!python/unicode 'Iniciar'
0.0.0.0.1: !!python/tuple
- - !!python/tuple
    - [0](]
-)
    - !!python/unicode 'SHELLDLL_DefView'
  - !!python/tuple
    - [   - 0
    - !!python/unicode 'SHELLDLL_DefView'
  - !!python/tuple
    - [0](0]
)
    - !!python/unicode 'SysListView32'
  - !!python/tuple
    - [   - 1
  - !!python/tuple
    - [1](0]
)
- !!python/unicode 'REciclagem'

Is this Python/unicode stuff correct? I don't understand the object path code and how it can be used to identify an object so no idea if it is suposed or not to be this way.

Unfortunately Skype always crashes in virtualbox (a well known error) so can't test.

Can you find another example of an application that fails to label correctly?

Have moved the logging to log.info until we sort out all problems, so please try again with skype and lets see if the log can explain.

Now explorer itself.

Regarding the labels file format I'd say that any readable format is good, we can have an idea what NVDa

is labeling without requiring many debug activities...

yaml seems nice and very readable, but it would introduce another dependancy.

I agree with Jamie (comment:5) that json would be a better option. It avoids that extra dependency.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by orcauser (in reply to comment 5) on 2012-02-21 12:13

Replying to jteh:

1. I am very concerned about performance here. Using object paths will be extremely

slow in applications with a lot of objects and a lot of labels. My guess is that

it's O(n^3), which is pretty nasty. We're likely to have all sorts of bugs filed about performance problems.

I don't know if this is feasible, but could a property be added to
NVDAObjects to track the path of the object?
I realize that not all toolkits provide the needed info, but then we can provide None as answer.

Something like this:
When an NVDAObject is created, it fetches the cached value of its previous sibling and increments by 1, otherwise 0.
If it is a new child, then it adds a new element to the list.
The path would be something like:
1,, 2,0

• I've often wondered whether we could come up with code to try to uniquely identify

objects using various properties, only resorting to path as the last resort. The problem

is that this isn't guaranteed to work without human intervention.

It isn't easy to come up with a neet solution, but maybe its good enough to clearly state that this may effect performance in the appModules where this approach is being used.

The problem is always a tradeoff between having access to information and some other commodity.
The application I have been batteling for some time has virtually no text, just icons, and all of them are "unknown", and our users have been forced to count how many keypresses to perform, which is very laborious. Yet they need access to it because it provides an electronic arabic book library.

1. Related to (1), if we do merge this, I would think labels should never be distributed in

this form with the main NVDA distribution.

No problem, Its easy to pull out again.

1. Rather than introducing another external dependency, what about using json? This isn't currently used by NVDA, but at least it's > part of the standard library.

I tried this but serializing and deserializing doesn't give identical python objects, so can not be used for equality checking.
Maybe I am doing something wrong.

1. One of the issues i have with application specific configuration is that many executables

now host many applications. For example, this will be a total disaster if someone tries labelling

an object on a web page.

This feature was only intended for badly behaving applications, not the broken web.

As another example, !OpenOffice.org hosts all of its applications within the one executable.

Does this mean we are using the same appModule for all openOffice products?

If you are really against this, then the functionallity can probably be pulled out and provided to anyone wishing to
create their own appModule, in which case they are responsible for making sure it works.

In any case, thanks for investigating.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh (in reply to comment 7) on 2012-02-21 21:41
Replying to orcauser:

1. I am very concerned about performance here. Using object paths will be extremely

slow in applications with a lot of objects and a lot of labels.

I don't know if this is feasible, but could a property be added to

NVDAObjects to track the path of the object?

I realize that not all toolkits provide the needed info, but then we can provide None as answer.

Sadly, I don't think any toolkits provide the needed info directly, although IA2 and JAB do at least provide indexInParent, which is useful.

Something like this:

When an NVDAObject is created, it fetches the cached value of its previous sibling

Even fetching a previous sibling of an object as soon as it is created is expensive. We normally don't cache objects because we can't guarantee true equality, so calling .previous usually fetches a new object. In other words, there would be no advantage to doing it this way.

• I've often wondered whether we could come up with code to try to uniquely identify

objects using various properties, only resorting to path as the last resort.

One idea Mick had was to compare the Python class name of the object first before comparing object path. This way, it won't match on controls that aren't of that type.

It isn't easy to come up with a neet solution, but maybe its good enough to clearly state that this may effect performance in the appModules where this approach is being used.

As it currently stands, this functionality is user accessible. I guess you could try to explain that using it will cause performance degradation for the entire application, but that suggests users need to be very careful about how they use it, which is a big expectation to place on those who possibly don't understand the technical issues.

The application I have been batteling for some time has virtually no text, just icons, and all of them are "unknown", and our users have been forced to count how many keypresses to perform, which is very laborious.

I assume this is the application you were discussing on nvda-dev. Did none of my last suggestions help?

1. Rather than introducing another external dependency, what about using json? This isn't currently used by NVDA, but at least it's > part of the standard library.

I tried this but serializing and deserializing doesn't give identical python objects, so can not be used for equality checking.

Damn. I suspect this relates to tuples versus lists. I suspect json will always deserialise as lists, even if you serialise tuples.

1. One of the issues i have with application specific configuration is that many executables

now host many applications. For example, this will be a total disaster if someone tries labelling

an object on a web page.

This feature was only intended for badly behaving applications, not the broken web.

Right, but if there is an auto labelling feature which is user accessible, users aren't going to understand that.

Does this mean we are using the same appModule for all openOffice products?

Yes.

If you are really against this, then the functionallity can probably be pulled out and provided to anyone wishing to

create their own appModule, in which case they are responsible for making sure it works.

At the very least, I've certainly been thinking for a while that it would probably make sense to include your object path functions. This way, it's easier for any app module developer to use them. It may even make sense to have a traversalPath property or similar on NVDAObjects and then show this in devInfo.

In any case, thanks for investigating.

To be clear, I really do appreciate your work. If I thought this would work without adverse consequences, it'd definitely make sense to work to get it included. Unfortunately, performance is a very serious concern for me here.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by Ahiiron on 2012-07-12 17:40
Is there any way to package/make a globalPlugin/addon with these tweaks? I, too, am concerned about performance here; NVDA is snappy and lightening fast most times. We don't want that ruined. I'm not about to go snag source and break things, though. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by MHameed on 2012-10-30 08:28
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2013.1

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2012-10-30 08:41
I'm not trying to be intentionally difficult, but I very much doubt this will make it into 2013.1. I haven't seen any hint of a design yet that is acceptable for inclusion into the main code. Any implementation must not negatively impact performance. For me, this absolutely does not block 2013.1. If a suitable design can be devised, then we can reconsider the milestone.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2013.1 to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh on 2012-11-06 07:32
It's also worth noting that the approaches here are object labelling, not graphics labelling in the sense that most users think of it. Some graphics are drawn to the screen and don't appear as objects; e.g. the graphics to indicate states for mail messages in some mail clients.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by Ahiiron on 2012-11-07 23:31
Yep. So what about an addon? Don't addons overwrite original files anyway, or is this not possible? Would be interested in playing with this at least.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by vgjh2005 on 2014-07-25 17:35
Hi:
This function is very hopeful in China. More and more software is made by the graphics. If the graphic cannot offer the information, however that give them a number is a good way. The first graphic is named graphic1 and the second one is named by graphic 2 etc.
Let the number of each graphic is the same everytime. We could try to click them and remember them by remembering its number. finally, we could give it a label by using NVDA. Please merge it in the maincode quickly if it is possible.
Thanks!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 16 by blindbhavya on 2014-08-14 18:49
Hey, Mesar Sir.
Since you set the owner to yourself, I am asking you, were you able to go further with the implementation of this feature?
I have read all the comments, and according to whatever I comprehended, I certainly understood the performance risk such a feature could bring.
If this question is not off-topic and everyone is fine with me asking it here instead of the NVDA Devel/Users list, then I am curious to know why is Windows unable to allow such a feature when Android (Talkback) does?
Thanks in advance.

@ghost
Copy link

ghost commented Jan 13, 2017

I read that Jaws does have this capability. How does this works in Jaws and why it can not in NVDA?

@feerrenrut feerrenrut changed the title Graphics Labeler Functionality Object Labeler Functionality Nov 28, 2017
@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

See also an issue for specifically labeling objects in web pages: #5874

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Is there any progress on this issue? People still request it.

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Sep 26, 2018 via email

@rkingett
Copy link

I hope this is still being thought of, because this would be great for accessibility issues! Is there a way to have an open source database of these labels?

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Feb 15, 2019 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

somehow addressed in #7194. This feature is also requested from many people in the romanian community.

@joshknnd1982
Copy link

What is the progress on the NVDA object labeler? Will it be in NVDA 2019.3? or 2019.4?

@Hadi-1624
Copy link

Please consider adding this.
JAWS has had this for years and users are forced to work with JAWS for their jobs just because of this.

@rkingett
Copy link

Talkback is a good example of easy labeling. JAWS too. This wouldn't discourage accessibility advocacy, it may push it forward, but I know many JAWS users that use JAWS because this feature exists. If this can also have an open source database of labels, it would make it easier to try NVDA with indie programs.

@amirsol81
Copy link

Hi. Even some printers and scanners have apps which require image/button-labeling in order to become more accessible. So please kindly consider implementing this functionality.

@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

I am really surprised that this feature has not appeared on NVDA so far, and now NVDA users have to force the implementation of this feature on add-ons. Is it possible for NVAccess to reconsider?

@rkingett
Copy link

rkingett commented Jul 3, 2021

I still maintain this would be a boom to NVDA adoption, combined with an open source repository of labels would be the best. Just out of curiosity, which add ons allow this?

@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

I still maintain this would be a boom to NVDA adoption, combined with an open source repository of labels would be the best. Just out of curiosity, which add ons allow this?

Hello
NVDA users in Taiwan have created this add-on, but there is no github repository for the time being.
Is there an open source tag repository available?
Thanks.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I once created an add-on on behalf of @BabbageCom, not sure about the current state though:
https://github.com/BabbageCom/objEnhancer

@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

@LeonarddeR I tested him roughly, it's good, can you continue this PR?

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I'm not really interested in taking this further, honestly.

@joshknnd1982
Copy link

joshknnd1982 commented Jul 8, 2021 via email

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Did anyone ever update this add-on for current versions of NVDA? It is something we still get asked about.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests