Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA causes some applications to not close (exit) correctly #2113

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 18, 2012 · 4 comments
Closed

NVDA causes some applications to not close (exit) correctly #2113

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 18, 2012 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

nvaccessAuto commented Feb 18, 2012

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2012-02-18 20:01
I've noticed that NVDA causes some applications not to close (exit) correctly and stay resident in the memory. Such applications are "SpeedCommander" (file manager) and "Total Recorder".

Steps to reproduce:

1. Run NVDA (I'm using main snapshot 5012, but this was noticed a long time ago, so I guess it applies to older versions of NVDA as well).
  2. Install and run one of the applications mentioned above ("SpeedCommander" and/or "Total Recorder"), while NVDA is running. Both applications have a trial version witch can be downloaded from their websites for test purposes.
  3. While the application in question is running, try to close it (exit) via Alt+F4, "Close" from the system menu, or via its "Exit" command in its "File" menu.
  4. Normally, the application should close itself completely, leaving no trace of itself in the memory. Actually though, the application's main process stays resident in the memory, and in the case of "Total Recorder" - there is a taskbar button of the application, witch has no visible window attached to it. In both cases, you'll have to kill the application's process to close it completely.
  5. Now, after killing the application's main process, exit NVDA, and run the application in question.
  6. After that you may run NVDA as normal.
  7. Try to exit the problematic application via one of the methods from step Dead keys get inserted and break typing of accented characters #3. Now it closes correctly and does not hang in the memory. At least I can confirm it for "Total Commander" - I removed "SpeedCommander" some time ago and can't test if it will apply to it as well.
    I recall that there was something similar happening between NVDA and "MP3Tag", but now it seams not to happen anymore - I guess it's been fixed (though I don't know from witch side - NVDA or MP3Tag).
    This has been tested with NVDA main snapshot 5012 and Total Recorder 8.3.4600 VideoPro Edition on a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit system localized in vulgarian and all regional and language settings set to bulgarian. But I can recall it happening with older versions of both NVDA and Total Recorder and even on Windows Vista Home Premium witch I was running previously.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by k_kolev1985 on 2012-09-08 15:30
A few notes:

1. In my previous post, in Interface window doesn't come to foreground on Insert+Q #7, I mention "Total Commander". It is a mistake - I meant "SpeedCommander".
  2. I've noticed the same happening with "FormatFactory" as well.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@k_kolev1985 Could you please test and report whether or not the reported issue still persists with the latest versions of NVDA and problematic software?

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

I no longer use Total Recorder and Format Factory, but the issue does no longer occur with Speed Commander.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 8, 2017

Closing as the problem no longer exists in #2113 (comment).
If the problem still exists with Total Recorder or Format Factory, please create a new issue.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants