Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Announcement of capitals while continuous speaking #2122

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 22, 2012 · 5 comments
Closed

Announcement of capitals while continuous speaking #2122

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 22, 2012 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by menschomat on 2012-02-22 16:53
In Preferences, Voice Settings there are check boxes for "say cap before capitals" and "Beep for capitals", and it works fine when browsing text step by step.
I haven't discovered a possibility to switch on this feature while continous reading.
In German language there are a lot of rules to write capital letters, so some of the German users of NVDA where asking for a feature to hear an announcement or at last a beep also when NVDA is reading continiously.
Blocked by #3286

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-02-22 18:27
How would you envisage this working exactly? I assume that if one is using say all then any capitals used would be spoken as caps but when do you say the word which contains them? If you use a beep it could be open to misinterpretation as to which letter it is.

You always end up cursoring through to find it in any case.
Changes:
Changed title from "Announcement of capitals while continous speaking" to "Announcement of capitals while continuous speaking"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by menschomat (in reply to comment 2) on 2012-02-23 14:29
Replying to briang1:

How would you envisage this working exactly?

In short: Like in other screenreaders, too. I use the Cobra screenreader, and used the Blindows screenreader before, and both had this feature. And I suppose Jaws and WindowEyes have it, too.

I assume that if one is using say all then any capitals used would be spoken as caps but when do you say the word which contains them? If you use a beep it could be open to misinterpretation as to which letter it is.

Sounds strange, but it works fine here. And if the feature is checkable nobody who don't need it or don't find it helpful keeps it switched off. The two already existing options where you can hear the capital letters have checkboxes, too. It would be just another checkbox or two that says beep for capital letters while continious reading or so.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2012-03-17 16:48
OK, then, I agree with this more or less. It could be very handy for proof reading as when one hears a missing cap it should be obvious, and one can stop the say all and go back to fix it.
I'd probably go for a sound rather than a beep but whatever is simplest to do which won't break the reading. In a way this could be a toggle rather than a set and forget thing though as you will want to turn it off. The other solution is to have another sayall with it enabled. I fully realise we are running out of simple keystroke options though!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by ondrosik on 2012-03-26 13:58
I think that the main idea is to just inform user, that there is capitalized letter somewhere in the spoken word. I prefer sounds as the word "cap" or "capitalized" may reduce attention of user, but this may be optional. So say or beep when word contains capitalized letter during continuous reading.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-10-29 23:22
Marking this as a duplicate of #3286, as there is more specific discussion going on there even though it was filed after.
Changes:
Added labels: duplicate
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant