Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add an option to select wether to interrupt speech while scrolling the braille display #2124

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 23, 2012 · 9 comments · Fixed by #13131
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bramd on 2012-02-23 14:08
The current behavior is to interrupt speech for every key press. Most screenreaders have an option to don't interrupt speech when one of the braille scrolling commands is used. If this option is enabled, the user can explore information on the braille display while listening to the info provided by the speech synthesizer.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 5, 2017

I think this is a legitimate feature.

CC @LeonarddeR

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I'd like to implement this, but I'd also like to add a feature that allows the speech to read the display contents, i.e. when you are reading text, speech should read the chunk of text that's on the display, not the real text that's on the display. This is not going to work for NVDAObjects though, only textInfos.

@seanbudd
Copy link

seanbudd commented Jul 7, 2022

Is an option necessary here?
I think perhaps we should just switch to this behaviour.
Is there a reason a user would want scrolling forwards and back to interrupt speech?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 7, 2022

While I do use speech and braille together, I don't really use them simultaneously. I tend to switch between them, though I might switch multiple times within a minute. The impact of this is that when i scroll braille, I am not interested in speech and I want it to be silenced to reduce the distraction. So, if this were an option, I'd personally choose to have scrolling interrupt speech. That said, I could probably learn to live with it if this were changed with no option.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I agree with @jcsteh here. Interrupt on scrolling should really stay the default in my opinion.

@seanbudd
Copy link

seanbudd commented Jul 8, 2022

@jcsteh @LeonarddeR

From this my understanding is:

If you find speech when using braille distracting, an intuitive UX is to cancel speech when you begin scrolling.

Am I correct in thinking that cancelling speech via scrolling the braille display, requires you to either:

• read the first character/word with braille or speech, then scroll forward
  • before speech starts, scroll back and forth to get back to the start of the braille

Rather than the above UX, would it be a better to have specific braille device gesture(s) to:

• toggle speech on/off: prevent distracting speech from starting
  • cancel speech: as a no-op for the braille display, instead of scrolling back and forth

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 8, 2022 via email

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Jul 8, 2022 via email

@seanbudd
Copy link

seanbudd commented Jul 8, 2022

Thank you for your answers, it made understanding the UX for this really clear. This will help inform how integrate the option (i.e. not by default, but still as a feature flag so the default can change in future).

If it were possible to silence speech when your fingers touch the display, that might be nice, but most displays (other than maybe Handy Tech?) can't do that

Also something to keep in mind is to add this as an additional feature for the devices that support it.
The DotPad is meant to support this, and it might become more common in the future.

seanbudd pushed a commit that referenced this issue Jul 19, 2022
… braille display (#13131)

Fixes #2124
# Summary of the issue:
Some people prefer to be able to read in braille while still listening to the speech output for the current line/object. This is currently not possible, because every braille gesture will interrupt speech.

# Description of user facing changes
Adds a new setting: "Interrupt speech while scrolling", default  is "enabled".
The new setting determines if speech should be interrupted when the Braille display is scrolled backwards/forwards.
Previous/next line commands are not affected.

This is added as an option because some speech+braille users prefer a bimodal interaction pattern.
- For these users, speech may be distracting while reading Braille.
- These users repetitively swap between primarily focusing on speech or braille.
- For these users, the current and expected UX for cancelling speech when reading braille is to scroll the line of braille.
- Considering alternatives:
  - Most braille devices cannot detect fingers reading the display.
  - Using an additional braille gesture just to cancel speech will slow users down / isn't a good use of a button on a display.

To preserve the existing behavior, the option is enabled by default, interrupting speech when scrolling.
- Disabling this option allows speech to be heard while the user is simultaneously reading Braille.
- Users who don't find speech distracting with Braille, or rely on both Braille and speech, may prefer to disable the option.

# Description of how this pull request fixes the issue:
Add an option to interrupt speech while the display is being scrolled.
This option is enabled by default, so the previous behavior is preserved.
This implementation only works for scroll previous/next display and does not affect other gestures such as previous/next line.
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2022.3 milestone Jul 19, 2022
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

5 participants