Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Flat review seems to mix up different tabs #2158

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 9, 2012 · 8 comments
Closed

Flat review seems to mix up different tabs #2158

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 9, 2012 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by kredh on 2012-03-09 15:00
With an application divided in tabs, the flat review mode seems to mix up informations from different tabs.

This can be visible in Chatzilla (a IRC client) or MushCLIENT (a MUD client): when only one tab is open, it's fine. When two are open, some lines of the first one are visible when browsing the second one. That is still worse when you have a lot of open tabs. I don't know if it occurs on a web browser which use one tab per page, because I can't use flat review on Firefox. So I don't know where the problem comes from.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-03-12 03:36
Just to confirm, are you certain that only one tab is being visually displayed on the screen? That's usually the way that tabs work, but it'd be good to have someone with sight confirm this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by kredh on 2012-03-19 09:08
I just checked it out yesterday with a friend. On the screen, the tabs are separated (no information of the tab1 on the tab2 and vice versa).

@bhavyashah
Copy link

NVDA has dropped the flat review concept in favour of the three review modes. Does that make this issue irrelevant?

@michaelDCurran
Copy link

@bhavyashah Flat review is equivalent to NVDA's screen review today. I would think it is still valid.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@michaelDCurran Thanks for the clarification. On re-reading #2158 (comment), it now unclear to me what the bug being described actually is. Is NVDA reporting extraneous information of another tab which is not even open, or are two tabs actually open and are being simultaneously displayed and NVDA's screen review does not aid the user in distinguishing between the contents of the first and second tab, or something else? Since we may not be able to contact the original author of this ticket, I would like to invite comments from our sighted experts - @feerrenrut and @Qchristensen.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@kredh
cc: @michaelDCurran, @feerrenrut, your thoughts are very appreciated. I understand this issue as follows:
in screen review, when a single tab is open, everything is ok. When two or more tabs are open, NVDA reads the whole content in a row from left to right. This means it reads content of all opened tabs which is displayed in a row.

In my view this is not an issue in NVDA. NVDA reads out the content as it is visible on the screen line by line from left to right. This is the principle how it works in every application. In Jaws it works exactly similar to this when using jaws cursor.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Since this was reported six years ago, is anyone using the programs mentioned in the issue (Chatzilla, an IRC client, and MushCLIENT, a MUD client)? And if so, can they confirm both whether flat review is still the best way to navigate those programs, and also whether the issue still exists?

I might raise this on the user email list, since this issue came over from the old system so there is no way of contacting the original reporter.

If I hear anything back, I'll update this issue, otherwise, I recommend we leave it a couple of weeks and close it.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I am closing this issue because we do not have any other reports on it.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants