Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

When navigating with the mouse NVDA reads text on a line up to the first link on a line and stops reading #2160

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 13, 2012 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ddeangelis on 2012-03-13 16:34
In Mozilla Firefox and Internet explorer.

When using the mouse to hover over a given line NVDA stops reading the line if it contains a link withing the text. The NVDA home page contains several examples of text links within a given line of text on a web page. If I move the mouse cursor over the link it will be read, but the text following the link will not be read even if I move the mouse cursor over it. If I hover over the block of text following linked text NVDA reads the text proceeding the linked text.

It would be extremely helpful to have a setting to read the entire line calling out links with a selectable beep, verbal or no description and continuing to read the entire line.

I consider this to be a bug in the software as it disallows partially sighted individuals from reading websites using the mouse to hover over the text that is desired to be verbalized. This is a standard option in many screen readers. It is much more efficient for partially sighted individuals to navigate in this manner as opposed to using browse mode and keyboard navigation.

This issue exists in all versions after 2011.3. This issue was ovserved in both Windows XP and Vista.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by 4RJames on 2013-11-13 14:54
In addition to links this happens any time there is something like a link such as dates. There are many times when I cannot read all the text due to this problem. It is also not always obvious when text is skipped. It was good to see this was already reported. It has been many months and would be greatly appreciated if it was fixed.

jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 27, 2015
…ng no longer stops at elements such as links within the word or line being read.

Re #5535, #2160.
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Dec 16, 2015
…ng no longer stops at elements such as links within the word or line being read.

Re #5535, #2160.
@bhavyashah
Copy link

Could we please have a sighted person using the mouse test and provide a status update for this issue? @feerrenrut @Qchristensen

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 19, 2018

I very much doubt there's been any change here. This should work as expected now in editable text boxes in Firefox (not sure about Chrome), as we use the rich text editing code to support this. Other than that, this doesn't work because browse mode doesn't contain enough information to support this kind of tracking, and supporting it without using browse mode would cause severe performance problems.

@coryj627
Copy link

coryj627 commented Nov 9, 2018

This is still happening in HTML/rich text like an e-mail in Outlook or a rendered web-page in Firefox.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

The issue here is I think related to #3590 - I did a bit of testing on that one and wrote up a fairly long post describing all the symptoms some time ago, but it is good to have it linked here as well.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants