Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA has no icon on its desktop shortcut #2162

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 13, 2012 · 7 comments
Closed

NVDA has no icon on its desktop shortcut #2162

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 13, 2012 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2012-03-13 20:35
Hello,

After a Windows reinstall, I've installed one of the latest NVDA main snapshots (I think it was 5012) and since then, even after updating to a later snapshot, NVDA has no icon on its desktop shortcut. Actually, there is an icon - the default Windows one for files witch don't have an icon of their own. I've tried to manually define NVDA's icon for its desktop shortcut, but either it doesn't work at all, or it works only until the next restart of the system. Using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit.

I had this problem with NVDA before, but it somehow it fixed itself at some point. And now, after the reinstall of my system, it appeared again.

I'm on Windows 7, but if I remember correctly, this happens under Windows Vista as well.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-03-14 01:29
Duplicate of #354. I realise you're running 32 bit Windows and that ticket mentions 64 bit, but we suspect it's actually broken on 32 bit systems as well.
Changes:
Added labels: duplicate
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-03-14 01:52
Hmm, maybe I'm wrong about this being a duplicate. With a clean install of NVDA (i.e. with an unaltered desktop shortcut), can you please do the following:

1. Move to the desktop shortcut.
  2. Press alt+enter.
  3. Tab to the "Change icon..." button.
  4. Press space.
  5. If you see an error, please report what it says.
  6. If not, please report the path in the "Look for icons in this file:" field.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by k_kolev1985 on 2012-03-14 09:37
When I follow your instructions and open the dialog from witch the icon can be changed, there is no error. The path in witch the system should look for icons is the following:

%ProgramFiles%\NVDA\NVDA.exe

Witch seams to be OK. But I've noticed that in the properties dialog for the shortcut on the desktop, the NVDA icon is displayed correctly (it is shown in the top left side of the dialog, right on the left of the label containing the name of the shortcut ("NVDA"). Not only that, but NVDA's icon appears in the list of available icons in the "Change icon" dialog and I can select it and apply the changes. Only they are not affecting the desktop icon and it stays broken.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-03-14 09:38
In that case, it's probably not the same issue. I have no idea what's causing this on your system.
Changes:
Removed labels: duplicate
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by k_kolev1985 on 2012-03-20 08:56
I've installed the latest snapshot (r5050) with its default settings, but before that I've deleted the previously created by the older installers shortcut on the desktop. After the installation, I looked on the desktop and NVDA's shortcut had its default icon, as it should. Then, I had to restart NVDA, because I had to replace a file related to the bulgarian localization (the symbols.dic file). After the restart, the NVDA icon on its desktop shortcut, was broken again. I tried to point from the shortcut's properties to the NVDA icon from the "nvda.exe" file, but it didn't work - the icon was still broken. Then I tried to point to an NVDA icon contained in some other NVDA executable file, and since the "nvda_service.exe" was next in the list of executable files, I tried with the NVDA icon in it. And to my surprise, it worked - now I have an NVDA desktop shortcut with a proper icon.

The only strange thing that I can think of that may have caused this is that when I first installed NVDA on this system, UAC was still turned on and I had installed a snapshot of NVDA, witch are not fully compatible with UAC (at least as far as I'm aware).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by k_kolev1985 on 2012-05-10 20:04
Hello,

I forgot to report, that after a change was made to NVDA so Windows handles the assignment of an icon to its desktop shortcut, the problem with the broken icon for the desktop shortcut of NVDA has not occurred again and I presume it was fixed then. I think we may close this as fixed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2012-05-11 04:37
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant