Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

When audio output device is changed beeps are still beeing played in the previous device #2167

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 15, 2012 · 8 comments · Fixed by #10573
Closed
Labels
bug component/audio NVDA's audio output (nvWave, issues with usb audio etc). p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ragb on 2012-03-15 00:48
This was reported on the portuguese list. According to an user when the audio output device is changed on the synthercizer settings dialog, beeps and other sounds play on the default sound card. Is that the expected behaviour? At least beeps for progress bars and mouse tracking make sence to playalong with the synth's audio.

I can't reproduce it now because I don't have access to an external soundcard at the moment, but I recall seeing this behaviour at some point...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-03-15 00:55
It's definitely a bug. I knew about it already, but never got around to filing a ticket. :)
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by zahari_bgr on 2012-03-15 01:17
I test it on Windows 7 32bit with external USB plug&play sound card.
After changing the device in the Synthesizer dialog all speech and sounds including beeps for capitals and progress bar updates was redirected to the new device as expected.
May be it has something about drivers or OS version?

Oops, when i change it back, the beeps and other non-speech sounds still were coming from the external card.
May be because it was set to default audio device by Windows.
Sorry for being too hasty.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-03-15 02:18
If the Windows default output device changes and NVDA is set to use Microsoft Sound Mapper, NVDA's output will change accordingly. However, if you set a specific output device in NVDA, tones stay on the output set when NVDA was started.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ondrosik on 2012-09-30 06:04
I have also this issue, but comments 2 and 3 brings new point of wiev, I will experiment with it more deeply, if changing system default device really can do strange things. I am currently on xp.
So what I know at this time:
I am using USB dongle, because my laptop headphone output is broken. It behave as a standard audio device. When I set NVDA's output to this, voice goes from USB dongle, but sounds as beep on cap character, NVDA error, NVDA shutdown are going through the device which was set before, in my case soundmax driver. After restarting NVDA, all sounds are going from via USb, as set in previous step. This works also in reversed, E. G. now when i set it back to soundmax, speech goes from soundmax, but sounds from USB dongle. In documentation is said, that This option allows you to choose the sound card that NVDA should instruct the selected synthesizer to speak through. But why it change the sounds after restarting? I know that for this case NVDA should remember two settings, one for speech, one for sounds. or maybe it should affect all sounds and it does not work for some cases.
It should be interesting to see, how it behaves on other computers, can someone reproduce it? I testet it also with Zoom H1 output device with same result.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by nvdakor on 2014-07-25 16:04
Hi,
People on the NvDA lists report that this issue is gone in recent versions of NVDA. Please test with 2014.2 to see if the issue returns. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-07-28 06:18
This bug still exists, though there are various edge cases in which the behaviour is different.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the near-term milestone Nov 10, 2015
@jcsteh jcsteh removed this from the near-term milestone Jun 24, 2016
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 5, 2016
@michaelDCurran michaelDCurran added the component/audio NVDA's audio output (nvWave, issues with usb audio etc). label Jan 26, 2019
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This is still an issue in NVDA 2019.2 RC2 and I experience this quite often. Actually very annoying when you are doing some DJ stuff or recording.
cc: @jcsteh, @LeonarddeR

@XLTechie
Copy link
Contributor

XLTechie commented Aug 8, 2019 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/audio NVDA's audio output (nvWave, issues with usb audio etc). p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

5 participants