Opened 2 years ago

Last modified 19 months ago

#2167 new defect

When audio output device is changed beeps are still beeing played in the previous device

Reported by: ragb Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone: near-term
Component: Core Version:
Keywords: Cc:
Operating system: Blocked by:
Blocking:
Changes document entry (for developers):

Description

This was reported on the portuguese list. According to an user when the audio output device is changed on the synthercizer settings dialog, beeps and other sounds play on the default sound card. Is that the expected behaviour? At least beeps for progress bars and mouse tracking make sence to playalong with the synth's audio.

I can't reproduce it now because I don't have access to an external soundcard at the moment, but I recall seeing this behaviour at some point...

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 2 years ago by jteh

• Milestone set to near-term

It's definitely a bug. I knew about it already, but never got around to filing a ticket. :)

comment:2 Changed 2 years ago by zahari_bgr

I test it on Windows 7 32bit with external USB plug&play sound card.
After changing the device in the Synthesizer dialog all speech and sounds including beeps for capitals and progress bar updates was redirected to the new device as expected.
May be it has something about drivers or OS version?

Version 0, edited 2 years ago by zahari_bgr (next)

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by jteh

If the Windows default output device changes and NVDA is set to use Microsoft Sound Mapper, NVDA's output will change accordingly. However, if you set a specific output device in NVDA, tones stay on the output set when NVDA was started.

comment:4 Changed 19 months ago by ondrosik

I have also this issue, but comments 2 and 3 brings new point of wiev, I will experiment with it more deeply, if changing system default device really can do strange things. I am currently on xp.
So what I know at this time:
I am using USB dongle, because my laptop headphone output is broken. It behave as a standard audio device. When I set NVDA's output to this, voice goes from USB dongle, but sounds as beep on cap character, NVDA error, NVDA shutdown are going through the device which was set before, in my case soundmax driver. After restarting NVDA, all sounds are going from via USb, as set in previous step. This works also in reversed, E. G. now when i set it back to soundmax, speech goes from soundmax, but sounds from USB dongle. In documentation is said, that This option allows you to choose the sound card that NVDA should instruct the selected synthesizer to speak through. But why it change the sounds after restarting? I know that for this case NVDA should remember two settings, one for speech, one for sounds. or maybe it should affect all sounds and it does not work for some cases.
It should be interesting to see, how it behaves on other computers, can someone reproduce it? I testet it also with Zoom H1 output device with same result.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.