Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

The CapPitchChange setting on the Voice Settings Dialog should only be presented if the synth supports the pitch setting #2195

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 23, 2012 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ragb on 2012-03-23 17:54
The summary says it all... In my opinion there is no need to present capPitchChange on the voice settings Dialog when the sytnh does not supports pitch changing. This setting makes no sence in this situation and may confuse the users.

I found this when developing a new synth driver that does not support pitch.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Mar 23, 2012

Attachment patch-settings-pitch.patch added by ragb on 2012-03-23 17:55
Description:
Patch to present capPitchChange setting on the Voice settings dialog only when the synth supports the pitch setting.
Update:
Patch added from Trac
patch-settings-pitch.patch.txt

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-03-23 20:06
Hi, I've seen this sort of issue in other software though, the most common one is the realspeak voices. Maybe in these cases they do not set the pitch variable to off or something, who knows.

Changes:
Changed title from "The CapPitchChannge setting on the Voice Settings Dialog should only be presented if the synth supports the pitch setting" to "The CapPitchChange setting on the Voice Settings Dialog should only be presented if the synth supports the pitch setting"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-03-26 00:02
Some synths (e.g. sapi4) may support different settings for different voices, so we need to make sure this option gets hidden/displayed accordingly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ragb (in reply to comment 2) on 2012-03-26 03:21
Replying to jteh:

Some synths (e.g. sapi4) may support different settings for different voices, so we need to make sure this option gets hidden/displayed accordingly.

Sorry, Didn't know about that (synthDriverHandler.SynthDriver has no clear indication that this was possible and I haven't read all drivers...).

Shall I update the interface in gui.VoiceSettingsDialog.updateVoiceSettings instead of the approach present in my patch? It's an exceptional case and the less hugly approach would be an extra if there, I think.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2012-03-26 03:32
Replying to ragb:

Shall I update the interface in gui.VoiceSettingsDialog.updateVoiceSettings

That's what needs to be done, yes. It's a bit painful, though.

instead of the approach present in my patch?

Err, I somehow missed your patch. :) I've read it now and it was the same approach I thought of before I realised it wouldn't quite work.

It's an exceptional case and the less hugly approach would be an extra if there, I think.

I don't quite follow. It's pretty ugly, but it probably does need to be handled correctly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by ragb (in reply to comment 4) on 2012-03-26 03:54
Replying to jteh:

That's what needs to be done, yes. It's a bit painful, though.

instead of the approach present in my patch?

Err, I somehow missed your patch. :) I've read it now and it was the same approach I thought of before I realised it wouldn't quite work.

Yes, it doesn't work at all.

It's an exceptional case and the less hugly approach would be an extra if there, I think.

I don't quite follow. It's pretty ugly, but it probably does need to be handled correctly.

I was refering to adding and extra if statement to the end of the updateVoiceSettings method to Show or Hide the capPitchChangeLabel and capPitchChangeEdit controls, if the synth supports pitch setting or not. But this is not as simple as it seems:
when the dialog is created, updateVoiceSettings is called before these controls are constructed so doesn't work. This can be done, with some repeated checks but is sort of hugly---- Will think abuot it.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Although the original author of this ticket cannot be contacted anymore, since you were interacting earlier, could you still please respond to #2195 (comment)?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 10, 2017

There's not really anything to respond to. Some potential problems were noted, which I agree are certainly valid, but it's just a matter of refactoring things to get around that.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants