Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

user not being notified of installed/completed update #2222

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 5, 2012 · 6 comments
Closed

user not being notified of installed/completed update #2222

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 5, 2012 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bmisch1000 on 2012-04-05 17:24
when i updated nvda it completed but i wasn't notified of this so had to check the about dialog box. Would be nice if a dialog came up letting the user know that the update was complete instead of just reloading the updated copy with no dialog. The installer already does this but the update system doesn't do this yet.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-04-05 23:43
We actually did this intentionally to eliminate unnecessary user interaction. Since this is a semi-automated process (unlike installation, which is manual), we figured that the update progress dialog disappearing would be enough to suggest the update is complete, rather than bothering the user with yet another dialog. I'd like to see other opinions on this. It's certainly not hard to reintroduce this dialog if it really is confusing.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by bmisch1000 (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-04-06 00:31
well, you could also make nvda say something like update complete without needing to make a dialog. plus my real copy unloaded and reloaded before the temp copy loaded no errors so had to check the about dialog to see what happened after answering the mac dialog and seeing my new copy reload. Replying to jteh:

We actually did this intentionally to eliminate unnecessary user interaction. Since this is a semi-automated process (unlike installation, which is manual), we figured that the update progress dialog disappearing would be enough to suggest the update is complete, rather than bothering the user with yet another dialog. I'd like to see other opinions on this. It's certainly not hard to reintroduce this dialog if it really is confusing.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-04-06 00:39
Can you please explain exactly what happened after you pressed OK to install the update? Did you not see the dialog saying "Updating NVDA"?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by bmisch1000 on 2012-04-06 01:06
i i saw it when installing an update yesterday but didn't see it today when using the update method. will have to try again when a new snapshot is created.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2012-05-25 01:41
Is this still an issue; i.e. are you not seeing the update progress dialog or hearing the beeps?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 19, 2017

I do not believe this is an issue anymore. I personally think the dialog saying "Updating NVDA" is enough to know what is going on. When the update completes, the start/exit tones are heard indicating a restart.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants