Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Support for visual studio breakpoints, etc. #2233

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 8, 2012 · 10 comments
Open

Support for visual studio breakpoints, etc. #2233

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 8, 2012 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by camlorn on 2012-04-08 19:51
In jaws, at least, visual studio breakpoints, errors, current line of code in the debugger, and many other things are indicated by the screen reader. Visual studio stores these, apparently, as an icon in the left margin, next to the line in question. I can not be more specific than that, as I am blind myself and am going off the visual studio documentation. Unfortunately, jaws hides how it does this, i.e. the source for that particular script seems to not be included if it is even coded as a script.

Support for these would be nice, as the accessibility interfaces and apis supported by nvda is more complete than those supported by jaws; in addition, nvda is great for testing as well.

More generically, some way to know that a graphic is in the margin when viewing text in a text editor of any sort would be useful, especially if custom labels could be assigned.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by heikofolkerts on 2012-06-28 16:04
I'd apreciate and may donate for this ticket.
Beside the allready named things like breakpoints I'd like to have the quic watch window read by NVDA. When one moves the mouse over a symbol, the value is shown in a tooltip. A solution to make this been read would be also very helpful.
I am using NVDA with VS 2008 but we may change to VS 2012 later this year since C++ support has been advanced.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by dineshkaushal on 2015-09-28 08:24
Fixed the issue. branch: in_t2233 on https://manish_agrawal@bitbucket.org/manish_agrawal/nvda.git

I have added class WpfTextViewForVisualStudio, which returns UIATextInfoForVisualStudio.
UIATextInfoForVisualStudio checks for breakpoints for each line. the potential flaws are:

1. Line number is obtained from the line text. I used regular expression to find number at the start of the line. in case line number is not available, breakpoint will not work.
  2. WpfTextViewForVisualStudio is selected if the window text contains Microsoft Visual Studio; this could be different for different language pack of visual studios. I could not use window class as class name seem to be dynamic. the window Class name consists of some GUID which seems to change on different instances of running visual studio.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by camlorn on 2015-09-29 20:39
Are you saying that we need to have line numbers be shown? I think that this makes them read, which renders knowing the positions of breakpoints relatively useless as one arrows through code, at least to me. VS2015 has a bug where you always get line numbers read whether you want them or not, but this will be fixed in the next update (source is Twitter directly to me from the project head at MS, so I can't cite anything), and I'm going to hazard a guess that most of us will have them turned off.
I don't suppose you saw anything that could be done for the VS debuggers, which don't read at all, either? I'm going to assume not; as I recall, even MS's accessibility inspection tools couldn't get these windows, but I can hope and you've looked at it more than I have. Microsoft's stance on the issue seems to be "we don't care and we don't test", which is sad; since they apparently just did OneNote, I'm hoping that VS is just at the bottom of the list and we'll see actual fixes in a year or so.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by dineshkaushal on 2015-10-05 10:43
The alternative way is to count line endings to know the current line as it is done for edit controls. Because I could not find any way to determine WPFTextView line number. Alternatively, I should try to get this information from devenv objects.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by dineshkaushal on 2015-10-08 11:11
Moved the breakpoint code to appModule for visual studio in devenv.py.
Please check branch in_t2233_new at https://manish_agrawal@bitbucket.org/manish_agrawal/nvda.git

@dineshkaushal
Copy link
Contributor

Find a sample vs2015 project with
WindowsFormsApplication1.zip
breakpoints

@dineshkaushal
Copy link
Contributor

as camlorn suggested, in update 2 for vs2015 line numbers are no longer being read all the time. if users turns off the line numbers, breakpoint reading stopps working. Breakpoint reading is also no longer working with jaws as well. But in case of jaws, breakpoint does not work whether the line number is on or off. I tried with NVDA branch in_t2233_new and jaws 17 trial.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

In visual studio 2019, break points are still not read by default. I recall @mohammad-suliman's add-on implements this, though.

@christopherpross
Copy link

Hey,
i had looked into the VS IDE and I thing the implementation of announce of breakpoints and lightboulds would be easiely to implement.
The question is, would it better to put that in a add-on or directly in nvda. the serial forges of the VisualStudio add-ons are not under active development i think.
What is your opinion?
How you do you prefer to announce the extra informations?

@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

I very much hope that this information can be reported without relying on additional components.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants