Reported by: briang1 Owned by: jteh
Priority: minor Milestone: 2013.2
Component: GUI Version: master
Keywords: goodForNewDev needsCodeReview Cc:
Operating system: Blocked by:
Blocking:
Changes document entry (for developers):

Description

At the present, the new repackaged installer allows only the nvda use on windows log in. It would be helpful I feel if some kind of explicit instruction could be given at an early stage in the installer or first run welcome screen to allow the user to select this option.

Of course if the isnstallation is being performed by an admin on a multi user system, then some way to allow this for that user would be needed too, without allowing the screenreader to load for everyone.

I don't know the best way to allow for these things, so over to others.

All I will say is that at present a new user on a home machine might find it odd that the screenreader does not run after a restart.

Attachments (1)

welcomeDialogue.patch (1.5 KB) - added by beqa 17 months ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (16)

comment:1 Changed 2 years ago by challsworth2

The installer could present this as an option as part of the screen where you select components to install. Other ideas could include a question after installation for NVDA to start with Windows, an option in the welcome dialogue presented upon first run, and so on.

comment:2 Changed 2 years ago by jteh

• Component changed from Installer to GUI
  • Milestone set to near-term
  • Summary changed from option to allow NVDA to start with windows after initial install to Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog

This does not belong in the installer, as the installer should be system wide, not user specific.

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by briang1

• Summary changed from Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog to Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog and add some info in installer to explain current option to run on windows log in

I can see why you say that, but a new user may not appreciate that the option to run on the windows screen does not in fact run nvda proper at start up. I think the best compromise here is some text which is read in the installer explaining the difference and what one needs to do when nevda is installed to initialise the option for the current or a specific user.

Its difficult as we want to make it foolproof while preserving ease of use and flexability of the system. The reason why I said installer was that I feel some reference to the start options and the start with windows log in is needed in the installer for a new user. We are, after all attempting to get new users to be able to do this very easily.

comment:4 Changed 2 years ago by jteh

The option is called "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen", which doesn't in any way imply it'll run anywhere else. I don't really see how we can be clearer about this except perhaps in the User Guide.

comment:5 Changed 2 years ago by briang1

Well, if you are used to not seeing the log in screen on a macine, then you might think the option means nvda will run at start up.

I notice if I set up windows XP this way, I do often hear nvda saying stuff then it will go silent as the start at start up is not ticked.

I was thinking of something like.

Note this option will not start nvda with windows. blah blah

comment:6 follow-up: Changed 2 years ago by jteh

Note that the option is called "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen", not "Start NVDA on the Windows logon screen". I can understand confusion with the latter, since it suggests it might keep running, but not the former, which suggests it will only be used there.

If you don't see the logon screen, I don't know if an average user (without technical knowledge) would assume that it would start for normal usage.

In any case, I don't think there's a way we can associate a note with that option such that it will be read by NVDA by default.

I think this should be solved once the option is present on the Welcome screen, since this will appear as soon as NVDA is installed.

comment:7 Changed 2 years ago by jteh

• Keywords goodForNewDev added
  • Summary changed from Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog and add some info in installer to explain current option to run on windows log in to Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog

comment:8 in reply to: ↑ 6 Changed 2 years ago by leo.cerreta

Replying to jteh:
I believe that changing the actual option name from "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen" to "Use NVDA only on the Windows logon screen" can make more clarification about the scope of the option.

imho

Note that the option is called "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen", not "Start NVDA on the Windows logon screen". I can understand confusion with the latter, since it suggests it might keep running, but not the former, which suggests it will only be used there.

If you don't see the logon screen, I don't know if an average user (without technical knowledge) would assume that it would start for normal usage.

In any case, I don't think there's a way we can associate a note with that option such that it will be read by NVDA by default.

I think this should be solved once the option is present on the Welcome screen, since this will appear as soon as NVDA is installed.

comment:9 Changed 17 months ago by beqa

hi all.

what can be done in this ticket?

please say and I will do or if nothing close this ticket.

comment:10 Changed 17 months ago by jteh

• Owner set to beqa
  • Status changed from new to assigned

The idea is to duplicate the "Automatically start NVDA after I log on to Windows" option from the General Settings dialog in the Welcome dialog.

comment:11 Changed 17 months ago by beqa

ok, done.

although I can't understand for what we need duplicate checkbox.

Changed 17 months ago by beqa

comment:12 Changed 17 months ago by jteh

• Keywords needsCodeReview added

Some users expect that NVDA will start automatically when they restart and don't think to look in the General Settings dialog. Since it's an option that many users will want to know about and perhaps set the very first time they run NVDA, it makes sense to put it in the Welcome dialog.

comment:13 Changed 16 months ago by jteh

Thanks for the patch! Aside from adding the option, you also need to write the value to the config when the dialog is closed.

comment:14 Changed 16 months ago by jteh

• Milestone changed from near-term to 2013.2
  • Owner changed from beqa to jteh
  • Status changed from assigned to accepted

comment:15 Changed 16 months ago by James Teh <jamie@nvaccess.org>

• Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from accepted to closed

In bef16c4a4984bbc13f2c110ad7f2b4780fd1ba30:

In the NVDA Welcome dialog which always appears the first time you run NVDA, you can now specify whether NVDA starts automatically after you log on to Windows.

Initial patch by Beqa Gozalishvili with additional work by me.
Fixes #2234.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.