Navigation Menu

Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog #2234

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 9, 2012 · 16 comments
Closed

Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog #2234

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 9, 2012 · 16 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2012-04-09 15:49
At the present, the new repackaged installer allows only the nvda use on windows log in. It would be helpful I feel if some kind of explicit instruction could be given at an early stage in the installer or first run welcome screen to allow the user to select this option.

Of course if the isnstallation is being performed by an admin on a multi user system, then some way to allow this for that user would be needed too, without allowing the screenreader to load for everyone.

I don't know the best way to allow for these things, so over to others.
All I will say is that at present a new user on a home machine might find it odd that the screenreader does not run after a restart.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by challsworth2 on 2012-04-09 16:23
The installer could present this as an option as part of the screen where you select components to install. Other ideas could include a question after installation for NVDA to start with Windows, an option in the welcome dialogue presented upon first run, and so on.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-04-10 03:42
This does not belong in the installer, as the installer should be system wide, not user specific.
Changes:
Changed title from "option to allow NVDA to start with windows after initial install" to "Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog"
Milestone changed from None to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2012-04-10 07:09
I can see why you say that, but a new user may not appreciate that the option to run on the windows screen does not in fact run nvda proper at start up. I think the best compromise here is some text which is read in the installer explaining the difference and what one needs to do when nevda is installed to initialise the option for the current or a specific user.
Its difficult as we want to make it foolproof while preserving ease of use and flexability of the system. The reason why I said installer was that I feel some reference to the start options and the start with windows log in is needed in the installer for a new user. We are, after all attempting to get new users to be able to do this very easily.

Changes:
Changed title from "Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog" to "Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog and add some info in installer to explain current option to run on windows log in"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-04-12 09:53
The option is called "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen", which doesn't in any way imply it'll run anywhere else. I don't really see how we can be clearer about this except perhaps in the User Guide.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2012-04-18 12:05
Well, if you are used to not seeing the log in screen on a macine, then you might think the option means nvda will run at start up.

I notice if I set up windows XP this way, I do often hear nvda saying stuff then it will go silent as the start at start up is not ticked.

I was thinking of something like.
Note this option will not start nvda with windows. blah blah

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2012-04-18 13:55
Note that the option is called "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen", not "Start NVDA on the Windows logon screen". I can understand confusion with the latter, since it suggests it might keep running, but not the former, which suggests it will only be used there.

If you don't see the logon screen, I don't know if an average user (without technical knowledge) would assume that it would start for normal usage.

In any case, I don't think there's a way we can associate a note with that option such that it will be read by NVDA by default.

I think this should be solved once the option is present on the Welcome screen, since this will appear as soon as NVDA is installed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2012-04-30 12:12
Changes:
Changed title from "Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog and add some info in installer to explain current option to run on windows log in" to "Add option to allow NVDA to start with Windows to Welcome dialog"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by leo.cerreta (in reply to comment 6) on 2012-07-27 20:36
Replying to jteh:
I believe that changing the actual option name from "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen" to "Use NVDA only on the Windows logon screen" can make more clarification about the scope of the option.

imho

Note that the option is called "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen", not "Start NVDA on the Windows logon screen". I can understand confusion with the latter, since it suggests it might keep running, but not the former, which suggests it will only be used there.

If you don't see the logon screen, I don't know if an average user (without technical knowledge) would assume that it would start for normal usage.

In any case, I don't think there's a way we can associate a note with that option such that it will be read by NVDA by default.

I think this should be solved once the option is present on the Welcome screen, since this will appear as soon as NVDA is installed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by beqa on 2013-05-09 13:05
hi all.

what can be done in this ticket?

please say and I will do or if nothing close this ticket.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2013-05-10 00:37
The idea is to duplicate the "Automatically start NVDA after I log on to Windows" option from the General Settings dialog in the Welcome dialog.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by beqa on 2013-05-10 06:47
ok, done.

although I can't understand for what we need duplicate checkbox.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment welcomeDialogue.patch added by beqa on 2013-05-10 06:57
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh on 2013-05-10 06:58
Some users expect that NVDA will start automatically when they restart and don't think to look in the General Settings dialog. Since it's an option that many users will want to know about and perhaps set the very first time they run NVDA, it makes sense to put it in the Welcome dialog.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh on 2013-05-28 06:00
Thanks for the patch! Aside from adding the option, you also need to write the value to the config when the dialog is closed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh on 2013-05-29 00:21
Changes:
Milestone changed from near-term to 2013.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2013-05-29 00:21
In [bef16c4]:

In the NVDA Welcome dialog which always appears the first time you run NVDA, you can now specify whether NVDA starts automatically after you log on to Windows.

Initial patch by Beqa Gozalishvili with additional work by me.
Fixes #2234.

Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants