Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Change requested in "not %s" string in nvda.po #2235

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 10, 2012 · 7 comments
Closed

Change requested in "not %s" string in nvda.po #2235

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 10, 2012 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by td.dinakar on 2012-04-10 14:14
We are using the "not %s" sring in nvda.po for "not selected" and "not checked". Since Tamil language has one common word for both "not" and "no", translation of this "not %s" string is not conveying the correct meaning. In Tamil, the word "not" has to merge with the word "selected" and "checked" to form one single word so that it can convey the correct meaning. Further, the translation of the strings "selected" and "checked" too have to be modified to bring some meaning to "not selected" and "not checked" strings.

It is, therefore, suggested that two separate strings can be used in nvda.po; one for "not selected" and another for "not checked".

Kindly consider my above suggestion.

Thanks,

DINAKAR

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-04-12 04:00
Technical: This requires another dict in controlTypes containing labels for states that are negated. It only needs to contain states that are commonly reported when negated; e.g. selected and checked.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment 2235.patch added by orcauser on 2012-04-14 15:45
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by orcauser on 2012-04-14 15:48
Hi Jamie,
Is the attached patch the sort of thing you were thinking of?

Thanks.
Mesar
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2012.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-04-16 23:33
Looks pretty good to me, but a few comments:

• There is stuff in this patch that I don't think you meant to include: first hunk in braille.py, hunks 2 and 3 in speech.py.
  • I'm wondering whether the negative state label for focused is really needed. I've never heard NVDA say "not focused", though it's possible in the code. However, if the focused state goes away, the focus should normally have moved by then, so it won't be heard.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-04-16 23:35
Also, I'm guessing the negativeStateLabels need translator comments. I realise we don't have them elsewhere in controlTypes, but my understanding was that all new strings should have translator comments.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by orcauser on 2012-04-17 14:39

Thanks, cleaned up patch committed as changeset,main:502
Dinakar, only "not selected" and "not checked" have been added, if there is anything else that should be please let us know.
Thanks.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 5) on 2012-04-18 16:17
Thanks friend. The problem was only withthe two strings "not selected" and "not checked". It should be OK now.

DINAKAR
Replying to orcauser:

Thanks, cleaned up patch committed as changeset,main:502

Dinakar, only "not selected" and "not checked" have been added, if there is anything else that should be please let us know.

Thanks.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant