Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA stops working after some updates are applied #2237

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 11, 2012 · 5 comments
Closed

NVDA stops working after some updates are applied #2237

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 11, 2012 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by challsworth2 on 2012-04-11 11:47
I realize this may be a hard one to diagnose, but this is potentially a serious issue. Here we go.
I have been updating my Windows 7 64 bit laptop with no problems up to now. However, after applying 2 important updates, I can use NVDA for a while, then it stops working altogether. I can start the program no problem, I hear the ascending tones, but nothing else. No speech, no NVDA menu, etc, however nvda.exe appears in the list of processes, along with nvdaHelperRemoteLoader.exe. As a result, I cannot show you a log of just exactly what is going on. My comercial screen reader Window-Eyes, however, works without problems, be it sluggish at times but that's beyond the scope of this ticket. I tried to uninstall NVDA, then reinstall, with no result. Even removing the NVDA folder from my account doesn't resolve it either. The only resolution is to do a system restore back to the date and time before the critical updates were applied.
Hope we can get to the bottom of this very soon, as it's sure frustrating and potentially serious for us security conscious computer users. I thought it was my Windows being stupid at first, so I did a complete reinstall of the operating system, and it's happened again days later.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by elliott94 (in reply to comment description) on 2012-04-11 11:55
When you've started NVDA, open the log file from the Run dialog by typing the following:
%temp%\nvda.log

Once opened, copy the entire contents of the file and paste it into this ticket; that should help diagnose the issue.

Replying to challsworth2:

I realize this may be a hard one to diagnose, but this is potentially a serious issue. Here we go.

I have been updating my Windows 7 64 bit laptop with no problems up to now. However, after applying 2 important updates, I can use NVDA for a while, then it stops working altogether. I can start the program no problem, I hear the ascending tones, but nothing else. No speech, no NVDA menu, etc, however nvda.exe appears in the list of processes, along with nvdaHelperRemoteLoader.exe. As a result, I cannot show you a log of just exactly what is going on. My comercial screen reader Window-Eyes, however, works without problems, be it sluggish at times but that's beyond the scope of this ticket. I tried to uninstall NVDA, then reinstall, with no result. Even removing the NVDA folder from my account doesn't resolve it either. The only resolution is to do a system restore back to the date and time before the critical updates were applied.

Hope we can get to the bottom of this very soon, as it's sure frustrating and potentially serious for us security conscious computer users. I thought it was my Windows being stupid at first, so I did a complete reinstall of the operating system, and it's happened again days later.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by challsworth2 on 2012-04-11 14:47
Ar ok, shame on me for not doing this then, lol. I thought about it but didn't know if this would really work. Thanks for the suggestion.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2012-04-11 15:47
Does a portable version still work on the machine? OK so some things are not going to read due to the security settings but it would perhaps suggest where to look if this worked.
You also do not say what synth is running. Another thing to look at is if, for some odd reason no speech has been selected by a failing synth load. If Espeak does work always, then the problem might be with the synth and the updates, not nvda itself.

If this were a common problem I'd have though we would have had a rush of people haing it by now.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by challsworth2 on 2012-04-11 16:11
Cheers! I will try the portable version the next time this happens. I am using Espeak for my synthesizer. But I can't even change that, because NVDA only partially loads, details are in original thread.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-04-18 23:53
I've recently applied all updates on Windows 7 64 bit and am not seeing this issue. Without further information, there's nothing more we can do.

Closing as worksforme for now, since I can't reproduce it and no one else has reported it. If the problem persists and you can obtain more info, please reopen this ticket. Thanks!
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant