Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

in microsoft access2007 the selected fields are not appointed #2244

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 15, 2012 · 2 comments
Closed

in microsoft access2007 the selected fields are not appointed #2244

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 15, 2012 · 2 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by paul otter on 2012-04-15 14:30
hello, when i open microsoft acces2007, the fields are good accessible, but the only problem is you can not hear wich field it is for example, address, phone number, etc. when i want to hear wich field it is i've selected, i have to press nummpad 7, then i hear the name of the field and then i know what kind of information i have to type there.
is it possible to do this automaticaly so when i tab to a field nvda tells me what the name is of that field?
i hope it is very simple to solve this problem.
thanks for your help!!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2013-11-25 10:56
Hi,
I was working on this the other day without realizing that this was already mentioned here.
At the moment, as part of the new MS Access app module (ticket #3643), I'm investigating how to retrieve column header information. The issue is that sometimes NVDA will say these header text twice due to extra focus events being fired (confirmed numerous times).
Technical: in Access database tables, field names are positioned above the data cells in column header cell object. Thankfully, Access's data tables are 2D array and since column headers row is the first child of this table object, we can drop down to the first child and see if the review position matches one of the data cells. For example, if we're focused on column 2, NVDA should announce the column header for column 2 (such as address).
There are two solutions I can think of:

1. Obtain the child index of the current column in the selected row (each row is a child of the table object, and columns are children of this row object). Once this is done, hop to the column header row (first child of the table grid) and announce the name of the child index that we've just obtained. This has an issue where this text might be announced more than once.
  2. Attempt to find the review position, which might be the solution we're looking for given the description. This might work properly for records which are positioned towards the top.
    The algorithm for the first solution goes something like this:
  3. Get the focus object (the cell) and the parent of this guy, the table row (making sure that the focus object is a table cell, not the edit box for the cell).
  4. Go through the siblings of the focus object (that is, the children of the parent of the focus) looking to see if the name we're looking for matches the name of the focus object (in table cell in Access, obj.name is the coordinate indicator). Through each iteration, keep an index counter.
  5. Once the match is found, get the index counter.
  6. Locate the grandpa of the focus object (that is, the overall table grid), then jump to the first child.children[index] where index is the child index of the focused cell in a given row. Then fetch the value of this column header.
    Until multiple focus event issue is resolved, column header info should be obtained manually with a script.
    Thanks.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Sep 12, 2017

Consolidating discussion to #2281

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Sep 12, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants