Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Option to disable the "out of element" messages in web pages #2250

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 18, 2012 · 6 comments
Closed

Option to disable the "out of element" messages in web pages #2250

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 18, 2012 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by clev on 2012-04-18 12:36
When navigating a web page with quick keys or the arrows, it's anoying and very unproductive to hear "out of link", "out of frame", etc., before the actual information I want to know. AFAIC, the only way to disable it currently is to disable the reporting of each HTML element in the document formating dialog. NVDA should be able to tell when we get into an element, but not everytime we get out of it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-10-17 07:47
I understand the efficiency issue here. However, users need an efficient way to know when they've moved out of a field. Otherwise, it's impossible to, for example, tell where a link ends, which might be important for context.

Are you imagining a configuration option here? What's your criteria for which elements this should apply to and which not? For example, not knowing when you've moved out of a list or table would surely be unacceptable, even if you don't care about links. Please try to be more specific about your requirements.

Thanks.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Several other tickets on the tracker have complained in one way or the other about NVDA's excess verbosity on the web when it comes to the reporting of various elements multiple times, the 'out of' feedback, etc. Although the original author of this ticket is now out-of-reach and unfortunately failed to respond to @jcsteh's #2250 (comment), I would like to take this ahead from a user/reporter's standpoint.
As a slightly more radical version of the request this ticket encompasses, I would like to propose we modify a significant number of document formatting settings (with the exceptions of course of options like page numbers, line numbers, and others which don't have a defined start and end) to essentially contain the following options in the form of a combo box instead of a check box:

• Headings combo box
  • moving into a heading only
  • moving out of a heading only
  • both moving in and out of the heading
    I understand that the above phrasing is not ideal, but I hope it conveys the functionality I am attempting to describe. Verbosity would then become much more flexible and customizable in the hands of intermediate to power users.

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Aug 14, 2017 via email

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Aug 14, 2017 via email

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Oct 5, 2018

Should this issue be closed now that #7434 is merged?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

yes, closing as fixed.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants