Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Option to copy current portable configuration when installing #2286

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 30, 2012 · 8 comments
Closed

Option to copy current portable configuration when installing #2286

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 30, 2012 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jhomme on 2012-04-30 11:20
Matthew says:
Hi all. I'm currently running the latest NVDa snapshot and I have to say I'm highly impressed with it. However, I'd recommend a slight change if its possible. I've noticed that if your running an installed copy, and you want to create a portable copy to run from a flash drive, there's an option that says, copy current configuration, which takes your currently installed settings, plugins, etc., and copies them to your flash drive when creating a portable copy. I personally think the reverse should also be true. I think that if your running a portable copy, and you want to install NVDA on the computer, there should be an option that will copy your portable settings, plugins and so on to the installed copy. I say this because I have a customized portable copy, with plugins, prefered synthesizers, and so on set up to my liking. When I tell the portable copy to create an installed copy, it installs a default version, with no custom settings, or anything, and I have to take my plugins, synthesizers and so on, and copy them to the correct installed directories. I think that if its possible to import the portable settings to an installed copy, it would make things a lot easier. This is only a suggestion, however.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-04-30 11:25
One problem with this is that installation is a system wide function, whereas configuration is user specific. If we did this, it would only work for the current user. For this reason, I've always thought it best to keep user specific stuff out of the installation process, as this way, it makes the system wide aspect of the installer consistent. To put it another way, because the user is installing it on the system, I'm concerned that a user would expect this to apply right across the system - even to other user accounts - but it won't (and can't).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2012-04-30 11:34
Obviously the option would have to be clearly labeled. But I'd think that anyone then who did not understand the full implications probably also wouldn't ever use another user account on the system.
Lets also remember that one of the major reasons for installing from a portable is to get access to admin apps, and in Win8, metro style apps.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-04-30 11:47
I guess that makes sense. However, does the same logic apply to adding an option to the installer to start NVDA with Windows (#2234)? I still feel like that one should be in the Welcome dialog.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2012-04-30 11:56
Think the starting with Windows option is different as there is already an NVDA option for that in General settings, and as you say, Welcome dialog perhaps. So am not bothered.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-04-30 12:11
Changes:
Changed title from "Overheard On The Support List: Copy Old Settings." to "Option to copy current portable configuration when installing"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by briang1 (in reply to comment 5) on 2012-04-30 13:06
Well, I know many wwould like an autostart option as I said in that ticket, but I'm also wondering about the safety of this current idea if its being used on someone elses computer, is there any danger of importing something nasty from the portable installation? I don't know.
If we can explain the effect of a user specific settings import, then why not the autostart as well?

Replying to jteh:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh (in reply to comment 6) on 2012-04-30 22:39
Replying to briang1:

I'm also wondering about the safety of this current idea if its being used on someone elses computer, is there any danger of importing something nasty from the portable installation?

Yes. However, if you're installing something, you've obviously been given administrator access.

If we can explain the effect of a user specific settings import, then why not the autostart as well?

It's not to do with explaining effect. It's to do with keeping user specific stuff out of the installer, especially when it'll probably be wanted by other users later (which makes the Welcome dialog ideal). In this case, though, this has to be done in the installer, as the portable settings obviously won't be relevant any more once the installed copy starts.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2012-05-25 01:45
Done in c5e86bc.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2012.2
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant