Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA Sluggish In Microsoft Word when report pages is enabled #2296

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 3, 2012 · 39 comments
Open

NVDA Sluggish In Microsoft Word when report pages is enabled #2296

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 3, 2012 · 39 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by parham on 2012-05-03 15:44
NVDA does not respond quickly to keypresses in Microsoft Word. This includes normal arrow key presses, table navigation commands, and so forth.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-05-03 23:11
What version of NVDA are you using? 2012.1 should dramatically improve this to the point where it isn't noticeable in most cases. Otherwise, please test with various documents to ensure it isn't particular documents.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-05-03 23:18
Also, what version of Microsoft Word and Windows are you using?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by parham (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-05-04 05:43
Replying to jteh:

What version of NVDA are you using? 2012.1 should dramatically improve this to the point where it isn't noticeable in most cases.

I'm using the latest snapshot (main:5159), Microsoft Word 2007, and Windows 7 32 bit. My memory is 2 GB, and when I open Microsoft Word, my CPU usage is 91% and my memory usage is 59% (maybe it's the high CPU usage that is causing the delay?)

Otherwise, please test with various documents to ensure it isn't particular documents.

What I do is this:

1. I open MS Word.
  2. I just press up/down arrow keys.

Result: there is a second delay before NVDA says, "blank".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-05-04 05:53
Wow. Is the delay actually a second long? That is very concerning (and abnormal).

Can you please double check the CPU usage? Note that Task Manager itself can cause high CPU usage, so you should probably refresh a couple of times by pressing f5 to be sure. If it is definitely this high, can you please check which application has the highest CPU usage?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by Brendon22 on 2012-05-04 06:27
Hi, I'm getting the same second delay in MS Word 2010 Pro also. With Win 7 Home 64-Bit. And NVDA also sticks on the Graphical names in your word document for about a second also? It got to the point wair I had to Minamize word and ault tab back. So it's not only word 2007. Using the latest NVDA Snapshot.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2012-05-04 07:38
Does this lag occur in NVDA 2012.1 (stable) for you both as well?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by Brendon22 (in reply to comment 7) on 2012-05-04 07:48
Yes but not as bad. The baddest time I've seen it happen is when I've turned my computer on for the first time in a day.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by parham (in reply to comment 5) on 2012-05-04 08:07
Replying to jteh:

Wow. Is the delay actually a second long? That is very concerning (and abnormal).

Well, I recounted. I think it's actually less than a second when the document is blank (maybe 300-500 MS), but still much more sluggish compared to, say, in Explorer, or Firefox, or pretty much any other application.

Can you please double check the CPU usage? Note that Task Manager itself can cause high CPU usage, so you should probably refresh a couple of times by pressing f5 to be sure. If it is definitely this high, can you please check which application has the highest CPU usage?

I've closed some applications and managed to bring it down to 60%. NVDA is at the top, with 44% of CPU usage (Microsoft Word is nowhere near the top). I just pressed f5 three times, with about 5 seconds of delay between each key press.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by briang1 on 2012-05-04 08:15
Two thoughts come to mind. I've seen some hacks around that make word portable. These seem to make both winword and nvda use a lot of processor.

Assuming neither of you are using these, then maybe there is some animated object in Word doing it, is it specific to some docs?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by parham (in reply to comment 10) on 2012-05-04 08:32
Replying to briang1:

Assuming neither of you are using these, then maybe there is some animated object in Word doing it, is it specific to some docs?

As I said, this is just a blank document, and I'm using Microsoft Word, without any modifications or add-ons.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by Brendon22 on 2012-05-04 09:33
Hi, I no there is a bluetooth add-on that comes default in all office Programs. In 2010 that MS makes default. And that could be what it is! Because I've had trubbal with JAWS being slow. and there isn't any way that I no of Disabling it.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 24, 2017

I am not able to replicate this using the latest NVDA and Word 2016. Please correct me if I am wrong and this is still the case with Word 2007. CC @Brian1Gaff

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I can reproduce this in documents with many tables or many text pages. However, NVDA is reacting much faster when changing the layout in MS Word to Weblayout.

@dineshkaushal
Copy link
Contributor

dineshkaushal commented Nov 26, 2017 via email

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@dineshkaushal and @Adriani90 This might be caused by a particular option in document formatting. To narrow this down, or rule it out, could you please try unchecking options one by one in the document formatting settings dialog, please let me know which of these has the largest impact.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Hello,

the slugness is most noticeable when using browse mode in ms word or ms excel to navigate through the text or cells. Following settings are activated in document formating in my case:

1. Comments
  2. Editor revisions
  3. Pages
  4. Row / Column headings
  5. Cell coordinates
  6. Headings
  7. Links.

I have deactivated each of them and tried it again. Slugness in browse mode if I have 3 documents open is approximately 1,5 seconds. Deactivating the settings does not make any difference.
I'm using NVDA 2017.3 on a work station (7 core processor) on windows 8.1 and MS Office 2010. I have noticed this on my private laptop (4 core Kabylake, 16 gb Ram and 1 tb SSD) on Windows 10 and Office 2016 as well.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

the documents are approximately 10 to 12 pages each and the text is structured in a table. There are some overlapping tables in the documents as well. Tables in document formating is deactivated.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

In MS Excel it is most noticeable when there are formfields and macros integrated in the sheet.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Thanks for the information @Adriani90. Seems like this will require a more in-depth investigation to work out the cause. Would you be able to attach an example document to this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Nov 28, 2017 via email

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Yes a word document is ideal, really this issue is focused on Word.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@feerrenrut I attach a document which can be used for testing. i have reinstalled NVDA and the sluggness is a bit better but still significant. Try following:

1. Open the document let's say three times (so three versions of this document)
  2. Navigate by up and down arrow through the document
  3. Try it in browse mode
  4. Start some processes (for example Abbyy finereader or some websites
  5. Navigate again through the documents
  6. Navigate through the tables on the first page by using up and down arrow and ctrl + alt + arrow keys
  7. Go on second page and navigate from first ro to last row by holding down ctrl + alt + down arrow and back on first row by holding
    down ctrl + alt + up arrow (both in focus and browse mode)
  8. Try the steps above when view in MS word is changed to web layout

Now imagine three 10 to 12 pages full of such tables where you have to see results in some rows and go back to other table regions.

I had a table with about 220 rows and held down the ctrl + alt + down arrow to navigate to row 70 because there was an important result. I waited about 25 seconds for NVDA to land there.

This issue occurs even when you import much text in a document and try to navigate by down arrow to a certain part.

However, the issue does not occur when navigating by letters or by paragraphs or words holding down the ctrl key. Only navigation line by line through a text and row by row or column by column in a table causes the sluggness.
Tables2.docx

Best
Adriani

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

@Adriani90 out of curiosity, disable each of these individually and try it.
Pages, set to off.
Spell check set to off.
Editor revisions set to off.
Please tell me if any/all of these make it faster? Just trying to see if the options @LeonarddeR reported a while ago hold or you as slowing it down.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Dec 1, 2017

@derekriemer thanks alot for your input. I found out what it triggers. This is pages. If you set it to off, NVDA reacts really fast in tables and big documents.

Is it possible to improve performance for pages turned on? It is very important in big documents to know on which page I am.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

Priority assessment please? Duplicate possibly? This is a quite severe bug for those needing the feature.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Dec 2, 2017

The only possible duplicate or related issue that I found is #6903

@ehollig ehollig changed the title NVDA Sluggish In Microsoft Word NVDA Sluggish In Microsoft Word when report pages is enabled Dec 2, 2017
@Neurrone
Copy link

Neurrone commented Feb 1, 2018

Wow, turning off page numbers basically made word useable again with NVDA. I've been forced to switch to jaws to use word for a long time - can this be assigned the highest priority?

It doesn't seem to matter for me what the contents of the document are - even typing or arrowing in an empty document is excruciating.

Even with page numbers off, moving in tables is still noticeably slower than in ordinary text, but is much improved compared to page numbers being on.

@Neurrone
Copy link

Neurrone commented Feb 1, 2018

The first post in #7008 has a good test document with many tables.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

when web layout is enabled under the ribbon "view" in MS word and "pages" are disabled in document formating settings, NVDA reacts incredibly fast even in big tables and documents.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

Yeah, this is probably the highest impact possible perf fix for word.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Feb 1, 2018 via email

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Other issues that might be related are #6423, #5851 and #5750.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

and #7921

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Maybe text columns should be seprarated from pages. I don't know what else is included in this reporting setting.

@Neurrone
Copy link

Any movement on this?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Neurrone, @parham, @dineshkaushal, in NVDA 2019.1 MS Word reacts much faster even with pages enabled. But to assess this issue correctly we need more tests. Could you guys please test if there is still a significant performance issue when pages are enabled? For me at least it works quite fine now.

@LittleStar-VIP
Copy link

LittleStar-VIP commented Mar 7, 2023

Hello,
Since my other post is being closed, not sure if it is fine for me to post my comment here.

I would like to share my recent findings.
After a word file has grown in number of pages, and nvda is becoming more slugish,
if I restart nvda, it seems that the slugish problem is lessen a bit

@Neurrone
Copy link

Neurrone commented Mar 8, 2023

I noticed this too in #9465 but won't be able to provide good reports nowadays as I don't use Word on a regular basis.

@LittleStar-VIP
Copy link

I have observed that doing the following things would also lessen the slugishness:

1. disabling some of the addon, e.g. officedesk, wordnav, etc., nvda will become less slugish
  2. If it is slugish in navigating a very long paragraph, putting a line break to break down the paragraph into shorter one will reduce slugish
  3. if it is a long long table, more than 100 rows, instead of tab to the end of table to create a new row, selecting multiple rows and insert rows below will reduce slugishness

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

10 participants