Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Hi, In The latest MS Security Essentials while it is skanning your systdem NVDA is very sluggish. #2305

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 8, 2012 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Brendon22 on 2012-05-08 09:44
Hi, In The latest MS Security Essentials Version while it is skanning your systdem. NVDA is very sluggish. To The point that you can't do anything on your computer until the Skan is finished! Using the latest NVDA Snapshot.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-05-08 16:36
In XP this is clearly not the case. A new version came out last week, and it seems no different. In any case if you go into scan settings there is an adjustmment to set max processor usage, and I am using 50 percent and typing this with few issues.

Also, automatic scans are only started when the computer is on, but not in use according to the dialogue.
Strange if its having strange effects in windows 7, but not xp, maybe its the new accessibility api again?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Brendon22 on 2012-05-08 22:20
Hi, Thank you very much for your reply, Yes I have my usich set to 50 Percent. And I'm using a 64-Bit Version of Win 7 Home. And when using one of The Sappy Five Voices NVDA when the skan is running NVDA is really really slow, Note: This only happends when the skan is running.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2012-05-09 03:49
Hmm, well I use Espeak myself. I suspect that sapi5 might well do as y you say as its a lot more processor intensive.
Does it do the same for self voicing utilities using that synth, or only NVDA?

I suspect as the synth, nvda and probably msse are 32 bit applications it might well not matter if you are using 64 bit or not.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Brendon22 on 2012-05-09 04:23
Hi, No it only does it with NVDA! :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2012-05-09 04:48
I am using it with sapi 5 Scansoft Emily at the moment in XP and it still is OK on my single processor machines.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by Brendon22 on 2012-05-09 05:03
Hi hmmmm I'm using IVONA 2 Salli - US English female voice [22kHz] And when the skann Scheduled is started, NVDA becomes really slow. Please Note: I've set it to the full Skan not just the quick Skan.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by briang1 on 2012-05-09 09:34
Ah, that is different. There seems to be some kind of undocumented feature in full scan. It ignores the processor usage for the scanning process and I've watched it climb to 83 percent and significantly slow things down. It does slow other stuff too though, at leas for me. It may well be optimised for software that can use multi processors or something. but its certainly ignoring the 50 percent processor time on my machine in a full scan. I suggest then that as its unlikely Msoft will fix this, that you do unatended full scanns and just stick to quick ones when you need to.
its probably a tough ask for doing a scan of all files and not to get a lot of variation in speed, as its going to be scanning files that are in use presumably?

Are you saying that the previous version of MSSE did not do this?
I'm sure it did slug things before, but I accepted it as it is quite a slow machine.
Its very slightly better in Espeak. It is kind of jerky.
The question is, is this anything to do with nvda, and can anything be done about it, I suspect not unless som person has a bright idea. AVG was ten times worse!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by Brendon22 on 2012-05-09 10:28
Hi, No, the last version did this. But because I'm using a Sappy5 Voice. While the full skan is running NVDA doesn't work well and is really sluggish. I don't no how E-Speak is with it?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-17 05:15
Hello,

This problem has been fixed. When putting MS Security Essentials to skan in the default skan everything worked as it should.
Changes:
Added labels: invalid
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant