Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Problem with reading of selected text in Eclipse code editor #2314

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 9, 2012 · 10 comments
Closed

Problem with reading of selected text in Eclipse code editor #2314

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 9, 2012 · 10 comments
Labels
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mjs on 2012-05-09 23:41
I am having an issue with the reading of selected text in the Eclipse code editor.

To reproduce:

Open a new file and enter a few lines of text.

line one
line two
line three
line four

Select the first line of text and NVDA reports "selected line one"

Still holding down shift arrow down to select the next line and NVDA reports "selected line one line two"

So rather than just announcing the new line added to the selection, it is reading the entire selected content.

This has been tested with Eclipse 3.7.2 classic and J2EE and Eclipse 3.6 to see if this was an issue introduced in the 3.7 series.

Blocking #4480, #4534

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by isaacporat on 2013-12-18 07:57
This problem is still present in Eclipse version 4.3.1 (Windows 7)
This issue is significant as it makes copy or cutting blocks of text difficult if they are longer than 2 - 3 line of text as one needs to listen during each line scrolling down to the whole block of text again.
If there is an easy way around this problem, please let me know.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-09-24 04:53
This is almost certainly a bug in Eclipse (since it uses IA2 and NVDA works fine in other IA2 text fields), but I guess we'll need to debug it to figure out what's going on and file a bug with them.

I don't have time to learn how to use Eclipse right now, but it seems I'm the only one able/willing to debug this. Therefore, in order to make this faster, it'd be great if someone could provide thorough steps to reproduce, including the steps to create an appropriate project/file/whatever to reproduce the problem. From memory, I tried to reproduce this in a simple plain text editor in Eclipse and couldn't reproduce it. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by parham (in reply to comment 3) on 2014-09-24 05:43
Replying to jteh:

[...] it'd be great if someone could provide thorough steps to reproduce, including the steps to create an appropriate project/file/whatever to reproduce the problem.

It's quite simple, really.

1. Download any version of Eclipse (E.G. PDT).
  2. After download, go to the new sub menu and click on "untitled text file".
  3. Create three lines of text, no matter what.
  4. Try selecting those lines.

You said NVDA worked fine for you in text files, so I'm assuming you've already taken the steps above. This is just to make sure we're going through the same steps. If so, please let me know how I can help you in debugging it so that I can do it on my own machine.

Note that I've been using Eclipse-based editors for a year and a half with all NVDA versions in between. This issue is not new and has always been there.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2014-10-10 07:30
Okay. I was able to reproduce this.

Technical: The problem is that Eclipse fires a valueChange event on the editable text field whenever the selection changes. It really shouldn't do this, since the value (the text) didn't change. NVDA interprets this as a text change, and because you can't reliably speak selection changes when the text changes, we speak the entire selection.

The correct fix is for Eclipse to stop firing the valueChange event for selection. However, we'll probably need to work around this in NVDA in the interim.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by parham (in reply to comment 7) on 2014-10-10 07:45
Replying to jteh:

Technical: The problem is that Eclipse fires a valueChange event on the editable text field whenever the selection changes. It really shouldn't do this, since the value (the text) didn't change.

Dang. It's not the first time Eclipse is firing wrong events. I'm sorry that you have to code all of these workarounds.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2014-10-10 07:54
This might sound like a silly question, but is there an official name for the main edit area in Eclipse that we're talking about here? It's it just called the code editor or the main edit area or what?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-10-10 08:13
In [40df509]:

When selecting text in the code editing control in the Eclipse IDE, the entire selection is no longer announced every time the selection changes.

Re #2314.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-10-10 08:14
In [99364a9]:

Merge branch 't2314' into next

Incubates #2314.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-10-26 22:02
In [1c590c2]:

When selecting text in the code editing control in the Eclipse IDE, the entire selection is no longer announced every time the selection changes.

Fixes #2314.

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh on 2014-10-26 22:03
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2014.4

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant