Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Windows displays error when inserting CD with portable copy of NVDA installed and configured to autostart #2321

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 10, 2012 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by challsworth2 on 2012-05-10 20:24
If you create a portable copy of NVDA, and you configured the portable copy to automatically start, and you burn both the portable copy and the autorun.inf file to CD, Windows displays the following error message as soon as the CD is inserted.

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

There is just an ok button. Clicking on this returns you to whereever you were before the above error message was displayed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-05-11 01:30
Did you keep the same directory structure as on the drive where you originally created it? For example, if you created it in d:\temp\nvda, you need to copy it to the CD as \temp\nvda.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by challsworth2 on 2012-05-11 07:17
Yes I did. Thanks for changing the bit about core, installer, etc; wasn't sure which category to choose. But yes, I did burn it using the same directory structure as the portable copy.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by challsworth2 on 2012-05-11 10:50
Got an update for you. It's even broke on Windows XP. When you insert the CD on a Windows XP machine, and you try to access the CD from say Windows Explorer, you will get the following message.
"d: access is denied"
Followed by an ok button.
This is assuming d: is your CD drive.
I don't mean to be awful, but this is pretty serious. We cannot have a broken autorun can we. But I'm pleased this has been caught in the early phases of the beta. I would hate to see this regress in the final release.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-05-11 11:47
Fwiw, it's not a regression, since you could never auto-generate autorun files before. Have you tested this on a USB key with XP? Does it work there?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by challsworth2 on 2012-05-11 12:23
Thanks for the suggestion, will give this a shot. I assume this also applies to USB hard drives as well? Just checking that's all. Cheers!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by challsworth2 on 2012-05-11 16:06
In answer to Jamie's comment, no. It is also broken on USB keys and USB hard drives. The autoplay dialogue box comes up instead of NVDA. Autorun.inf was located on the root of the key or hard drive.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by mdcurran on 2012-05-15 06:34
Not sure the exact problem with USB keys as I currently can't test, but its evident that for a long time the portable version has been unable to run off read-only media such as a CD. specifically its firstly because it tries to create a user configuration if it doesn't exist (which fails) and also more than one other place in NVDA assumes that the userConfig dir is writable.
Therefore we are now stating in the User guide that to run NVDA off read-only media, you should use the download package, not the portable version.

In regards to autorun itself: because NVDA can't run on read-only media like that, and because getting NVDA to autorun off a USB key only works in very specific situations, we have chosen (for 2012.2 at least) to remove the Create Autorun File feature all together.

We MAY however at a later date wish to put further RESEARCH into supporting autorun for U3 drives specifically.

Leaving this ticket open but only to specifically address issues with read-only media such as CDs (not autorun).
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by mdcurran on 2012-05-15 06:35
create autorun and updates to the user guide were made in 61c2d1c.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by challsworth2 on 2012-05-15 07:36
Thanks guys for the update. I look forward to further developments regarding this ticket.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the near-term milestone Nov 10, 2015
@jcsteh jcsteh removed this from the near-term milestone Jun 24, 2016
@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 18, 2017

Possibly related: #2216

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 19, 2017

CDs/DVDs are a lot less common now; many systems don't have such a drive. It's possible to emulate one with a U3 drive, but U3 drives have been discontinued. Thus, I don't think putting resources into this makes sense. I think running the download package (rather than a portable copy) is acceptable where someone does still want to do this.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants