Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Serch not working in word 2010 Pro. #2326

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 11, 2012 · 15 comments
Closed

Serch not working in word 2010 Pro. #2326

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 11, 2012 · 15 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Brendon22 on 2012-05-11 20:25
Hi. When going into word 2010 Pro The 32-Bit Version. And pressing CTRL+F to do a serch of the whole document. NVDA will report the first item that you move to. But if you were serching for a second word that was the same as the first word so there were to words of the name of Brendon in your document. NVDA will not report that you've moved to the second word and this is true for any more than two words. Using NVDA Version 2012.2beta1. Thanks for all your nice work!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-18 07:26
It would be really nice if this problem was fixed! Because I'm now going to TAFE and It would be really nice to have this working :)
Changes:
Changed title from "Serch not working in word 2010 Pro. Don't no about word Version's before 2010" to "Serch not working in word 2010 Pro."

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Brendon22 on 2013-03-31 01:01
Hello,

This would be really nice if this was fixed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Brendon22 on 2013-06-09 02:48
Hello,
This would be really nice if this was fixed. I have already said that I will lend NV Access a copy of Office 2010 so they can do this work. At this time No screen reader, even JAWS, can't do this right. This would be really cool if this was fixed.
Thankyou. Brendon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Brendon22 on 2014-05-29 10:53
Hello,

This would be so great if this to be fixed. Currently you can't do this at all with NVDA? Is there any chance of this being fixed soon? Thank you.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by Brendon22 on 2014-06-15 03:52
Hello,

This would be so great if this could be fixed. Currently you can't do this at all with NVDA? Is there any chance of this being fixed soon?

Please advise?

Thank you.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-06-17 07:02
Can you please explain exactly what you're expecting here? It doesn't seem useful to just read the found word, since you already know what you searched for. Please give an example scenario, including steps and what you expect.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by Brendon22 on 2014-06-23 20:33
Hello,

Thank you for looking into this.

The search feature can be used if you are trying to get to a part of a document you are reading. So I use it for marking parts of my documents with my name and the date. and I can type this in and move directly to the spot. Also it is great for moving to peoples names. So say that you have a address list done up in word, and you had two people with the same first name, but had different last names, you could move to their names as well quickly. Also another point I will raze is that sighted people have access to this feature. Does that help?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2014-06-23 23:11
No, it doesn't. I already understand why the feature is useful and how to use it. I don't understand what you expect NVDA to read and when. Please provide an example scenario, the exact steps you took (including key presses) and what you expect NVDA to read at relevant points.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by Brendon22 on 2014-06-25 21:59
Hello,

Very sorry, here you are:

So I open word and type in two of the same words, let's use Apple for this example. So I type these two words into the document and let's say that I want to find the second Apple in the document. So I move to the top of the document with Control+Home and then I press Control+F and type in the word Apple and press enter, NVDA, says nothing to you so you don't know if you have even moved to the word Apple. Pressing enter again should move to the second word, and this should be spoken out but it isn't. I hope this helps.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2014-06-25 23:00
Thanks. I don't think speaking the found word would be particularly useful, since you just typed the word, so you know that's the word that will be found when you press enter; it's not going to find any other word. Also, when you press enter, the next search result button does get focus, which means it got activated. You can even press shift+f6 to get to the document and see the result in context.

That said, I do notice that Word 2010 doesn't bring up an error dialog when text isn't found like it used to, so we possibly need to consider reading the number of matches which Word displays in the toolbar.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by Brendon22 on 2014-07-01 12:09
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree with you. But the search button doesn't get focus after the first search result has happened. So when I press enter after the first search result NVDA says Next search Result and then I press enter to search for another time. All NVDA says is pressed, when it should say Next Search result. Do you understand?

Thank you.

Brendon Donohue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh on 2014-07-02 06:57
It doesn't report it because the focus didn't move. The focus is still on the Next search result button from last time. This is consistent with focus reporting everywhere else; we don't report the focus unless it actually moves. The reporting of "pressed" indicates that you pressed the button.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by Brendon22 on 2014-07-02 12:01
OK, so how are we going to fix this issue? I still think it needs to be clearer that you have moved to the next search result!

Thank you.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh on 2014-07-03 22:54
This is not really any different to find dialogs in other applications. If the button is available and you press it, you expect it to work. The same is true for many other buttons. You even get an indication that the button was pressed, just in case you weren't sure whether you pressed it. If you want to see what result you found, you can shift+f6 into the document to check, just as any other user might look at the document. I'm not really sure what else you expect here. As I said, just reading the word you entered isn't particularly useful; there's no context as to why that word is being read.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by Brendon22 on 2014-07-12 11:34
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I Understand this. It is actually working and this can be closed.
Changes:
Added labels: invalid
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants