Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Installer fails if previous program directory is different #2332

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 13, 2012 · 10 comments
Closed

Installer fails if previous program directory is different #2332

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 13, 2012 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2012-05-13 12:51
I'm posting this on behalf of another user who's having problems updating from 2012.1 to either a snapshot, or the 2012.2 beta. They're running XP SP3, and whenever they run the launcher and hit the Install NVDA on this computer button, they get the error sound and the installer closes. Running the temperary copy works fine, however.

I've attached the log. This seems like a strange issue; I've certainly never seen anything like it before.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by elliott94 on 2012-05-13 12:52
Description:
NVDA log showing the error given by the installer.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-05-13 17:02
As a matter of interest, where has he got the old installed version installed to? Is it perhaps somewhere non standard?
also, I did see Eloquence in there, might be worth setting the old version to Espeak before starting the installer, just in case.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 2) on 2012-05-13 18:21
Replying to briang1:

As a matter of interest, where has he got the old installed version installed to? Is it perhaps somewhere non standard?

No; it's just the standard Program Files path.

Also, just in case anyone is wondering why the log says that version 2012.2 is started, that's because a temperary copy was being used at the time when the launcher was run.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2012-05-13 18:45
Well, Here is how I got the error below. I cleared out a machine of any installed nvda. Installed the previous release version to c:\program files\nvda 2012.1
This means its non standard. When I went through the new installer in the latest beta here is what occured.

DEBUG - queueHandler.pumpAll (19:25:26):
generator 1 finished
IO - speech.speak (19:25:26):
Speaking ('en_UK'), u'checked'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (19:25:27):
Input: kb(desktop):tab
IO - speech.speak (19:25:27):
Speaking ('en_UK'), u'Install NVDA on this computer button Alt+i'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (19:25:30):
Input: kb(desktop):space
IO - speech.speakSpellingGen (19:25:30):
Speaking character u'space'
DEBUG - queueHandler.registerGeneratorObject (19:25:30):
Adding generator 2
IO - speech.speak (19:25:30):
Speaking ('en_UK'), u'pressed'
DEBUG - queueHandler.pumpAll (19:25:30):
generator 2 finished
ERROR - unhandled exception (19:25:30):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gui__init
_.pyo", line 556, in
File "gui__init__.pyo", line 582, in onAction
File "gui__init__.pyo", line 264, in onInstallCommand
File "gui\installerGui.pyo", line 89, in init
WindowsError: 2 The system cannot find the file specified: u'C:\Program Files\NVDA'
IO - speech.speak (19:25:31):
Speaking ('en_UK'), u'C:\arc'
IO - speech.speak (19:25:31):
Speaking ('en_UK'), u'FolderView list'

I think some modification is going to be needed to the new installer to spot this problem. I still feel that assuming old versions are going to be in the same place is dangerous.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by elliott94 on 2012-05-13 19:21
Thanks for testing.

This is odd; I asked this person to type the default installation path into the Run dialog (e.g. C:\Program Files\NVDA), which worked fine. At least we know what that particular error means, though.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by briang1 on 2012-05-13 19:31
Further to that then, If I go into program files with explorer and create a folder called nvda then try the installer again it will work. The extra legend appears saying the install path has changed and most of the old files, but not all are taken from the old folder and the new version is installed to the nvda folder.

Thus It looks to me like nvda installer is seeing the set up in the documents and settings user area as confirmation that an installed version is present, but is not checking if the folder is the right one it expects before its trying to use it in the installer. Thus a simple mod to the installer that says something like if \nvda does not exist, then create it if it finds an installed copy would be all that is needed. I'm off for a lie down.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by mdcurran on 2012-05-14 00:50
Should be fixed in changeset,releases,2012.2,5189 or 5caf4b1 (not sure if we have 2012.2 snapshots building).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by briang1 on 2012-05-14 06:29
I think the problem exists in the main branch too, so maybe if its fixed there too, we can test it..

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by briang1 on 2012-05-14 13:30
Hi I see the new branch is up so i recreated the old install and it seems to work fine now. Awaiting the original reporter to say if its fixed for them of course.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2012-05-25 01:56
Closing as fixed as per comment:8 and comment:10. Please reopen if the problem persists.
Changes:
Changed title from "Unable to upgrade from 2012.1 using Windows XP" to "Installer fails if previous program directory is different"
Milestone changed from None to 2012.2
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant