Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

nvda having issues when updating because of viper antivirus 2012 #2355

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 17, 2012 · 5 comments
Closed

nvda having issues when updating because of viper antivirus 2012 #2355

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 17, 2012 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bmisch1000 on 2012-05-17 16:57
when i tried updating nvda or downloading the latest snapshot and running it the nvda music goes on but then nothing else no errors or anything. not even a false positive from viper.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-05-17 17:35
So how do you know its viper then?
Often anti virus real time checkers can delay things its true, as they look at new files coming in and this takes time. Sometimes they can also test files as they are deleted, causing file in use problems as well, but you suggest nothing happens. does the installer just go away or what?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by bmisch1000 (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-05-17 18:40
i know it's viper because this issue didn't happen with the older version with viper antivirus 2012, nvda downloads and gets as far as the usual music then nothing except for an nvda window.
Replying to briang1:

So how do you know its viper then?

Often anti virus real time checkers can delay things its true, as they look at new files coming in and this takes time. Sometimes they can also test files as they are deleted, causing file in use problems as well, but you suggest nothing happens. does the installer just go away or what?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Palacee_hun on 2012-05-17 20:50
Strange issue indeed. Personally I don't know anything about this AV. But if it's indeed Viper that interacts with NVDA launcher in a negative way (e.g. detects a false positive or blocks a certain behaviour upon suspecting malware activity), then I am afraid the possibilities for NVDA developers to fix this are limited at best. I consider it wiser to try to submit the NVDA package to Viper for analysis. A lot of AVs contain a feature in their user interfaces enabling users to submit problematic files for analysis. False detections can be thus fixed by the AV developer centrally. If Viper doesn't support this, then its developer may still be contacted directly to investigate and possibly fix this.
[[BR]]
It came to my mind that the problem with Viper (and potentially with other AVs too) might be that NVDA launcher has a selfextractor-like structure and furthermore it contains compressed files, mainly Library.zip that includes most of NVDA's code. The AV might approve the SFX first and let it run, but then begins scanning files as they get uncompressed. When Library.zip gets free, it scans it and detects that it's a zip and scans it inside (most AVs do this). It contains many many files, most of them in Python, very time-consuming to scan. Some AVs are very sensitive to scripts like those in Python because of their malware potency. In between the launcher wants to rely on Library.zip but it's under intensive processing ...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by nvdakor on 2015-05-18 23:10
Hi,
Coming back to this...
Is this still the case with the latest versions of the app mentioned? If not, then let's close this ticket (we had discussion about other antivirus programs doing this).
Thanks.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Since there is little to nothing that NVDA can modify itself, the original author of this ticket is now out-of-reach and unfortunately he/she didn't respond to #2355 (comment) either, I suggest closing. @ehollig

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Aug 11, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants