Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Non working nvda menu when nvda starts #2384

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 25, 2012 · 9 comments
Closed

Non working nvda menu when nvda starts #2384

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 25, 2012 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2012-05-25 12:17
Although this problem has existed intermmitently for a long time, I cannot see a ticket for it so I'm creating this one.
It seems that for some reason when nvda starts, all appears well, but some things just do not work correctly. The usual one is that nvda/n does not bring up the gui menu, but it can also affect other hot keys apparently randomly as well, and when one attempts to exit nvda, it usually crashes out but with no error messages.
a small log fragment of a recent snapshot is below.

NVDA version main-5194

IO - speech.speak (12:09:44):
Speaking Documents 1 of 77'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (12:09:51):
Input: kb(desktop):NVDA+n
IO - speech.speak (12:09:51):
Speaking menu'
DEBUGWARNING - watchdog.watcher (12:09:53):
Trying to recover from freeze, core stack:
File "nvda.pyw", line 155, in
File "core.pyc", line 339, in main
File "wx_core.pyc", line 8010, in MainLoop
File "wx_core.pyc", line 7306, in MainLoop
File "wx_core.pyc", line 14669, in
File "gui__init
_.pyc", line 130, in showGui
File "gui__init__.pyc", line 378, in onActivate
File "wx_windows.pyc", line 2190, in PopupMenu

IO - speech.speak (12:09:53):
Speaking list'
IO - speech.speak (12:09:53):
Speaking Computer 2 of 77'
IO - speech.speak (12:09:54):
Speaking the disk drives and hardware connected to this computer. tool tip'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (12:10:00):
Input: kb(desktop):control+alt+i

The log ends there. that key combination is a batch file that reboots nvda after capturing the log, so it would usually contain the nvda shutting down log, but not when this issue is present.

I have set the error to core as I feel that the non appearence of the gui is just one symptom of the underlying problem. I've ncountered non working edit areas and menus as well if nvda is not restarted. Its as if its in an unstable state. I've said xp, but this is just because I've not seen it myself on other os's.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-09-09 08:21
This happens when Windows won't let NVDA's GUI come to the foreground. On Windows Vista and above, this isn't an issue with an installed official copy because apps with the uiAccess privilege can always come to the foreground. However, on XP and all portable/source/non-uiAccess copies, this will break if something else comes to the foreground while NVDA is loading.

One way to solve this might be to do !SetForegroundWindow in-process, but that's pretty ugly and I'm not entirely sure it'll work.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-09-09 16:04
Oh, I can understand how this might affect the welcome screen, but does it really have a memory as you describe that stops much later attempts to bring up parts of the nvda gui including the menus and the termination prompt?

I have been playing with this a bit and for some reason these effects are much reduced in numbers if you put the command for launching nvda into a batch file and launch that from the startup instead. Very odd, though it does delay launching a bit so this might well avoid the culprits.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2012-09-09 23:32
Replying to briang1:

Oh, I can understand how this might affect the welcome screen, but does it really have a memory as you describe that stops much later attempts to bring up parts of the nvda gui including the menus and the termination prompt?

Yes. If the app doesn't get foreground when it first starts, it will not be allowed to come to the foreground unless you explicitly bring it to the foreground yourself; e.g. by alt+tabbing. Unfortunately, since NVDA doesn't have a main window, you can't alt+tab to it. However, if you, for example, press NVDA+f1 and then alt+tab to the Log Viewer, things will start working again.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

From @jcsteh's #2384 (comment), part of this bug affects Windows XP, specific to which issues are no longer addressed by NVDA. However, this does affect all portable/source/non-uiAccess copies too. I doubt that I have ever experienced the reported issue personally with portable copies, but since Jamie seems to be acknowledgeing it, that should be validation enough. Could fixes/solutions to this problem please be discussed and implementation related thoughts/inputs be shared?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Jul 28, 2018

This is Windows XP related and I didn' reproduce this on any other OS. However, also on Windows XP it seems to be related to some registry problems rather than NVDA itself. I suggest closing this. @Brian1Gaff you are welcome to open a new issue on Windows 7 or higher.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I've actually experienced this quite a lot in the past, also on Windows 7 and 10. However, it has been some time ago. It doesn't feel really safe to close this just yet.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I didn'T hear any further reports from users on this and I don't know exactly where to start investigating. @Qchristensen do you have any users reporting this issue? If not, let's close it and reopen the discussion if the issue appears again. Personally I think this might occur when a dirty installation is on the system, maybe after down grading to older versions without uninstalling the current version etc. This could have really comprehensive reasons if it occurs and is quite hard to investigate. But anyway, we need more user reports on this containing more details.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I actually did have a user report the NVDA menu not opening recently (first report I've seen in a long time). Impossible to know whether it is related. For my user, the log has:
“DEBUGWARNING - core.main (11:26:20.720):
Slow starting core (5.40 sec) “

and they were running addons as well, so it could have been a combination of a slow computer and misbehaving add-ons or anything. I asked them to try with add-ons disabled and they haven't got back to me - maybe it was an add-on playing up, they fixed it and are happy and haven't let me know. Either way, I'm still inclined to close this, and open a new issue with more information if we get a comprehensive, replicatable issue from someone on it.

@XLTechie
Copy link
Contributor

XLTechie commented Aug 9, 2019 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants