Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Windows Update control panel list items not reported until focus moved away from list once #2387

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 25, 2012 · 6 comments
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. bug

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mstopka on 2012-05-25 13:23
Hi,

In windows update in windows 8 I have to tab away from the updates that are avabile before nvda will read them

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2014-05-29 12:03
Hi,
Unless there is a duplicate of this somewhere...
I can confirm this in 8.1. Seems that somehow NVDA ignores list items for Windows Update when arrowing through them the first time they are focused. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-05-29 12:20
Note that this ticket refers to the Control Panel applet for Windows Update, not the PC Settings version of it. (The fact that there are two is silly and confusing.)

I only have one update at present, so it's hard to test it fully, but it seems Narrator has the same issue. If I'm correct, this would suggest a Windows bug. Whether we can work around it (and whether it's worthwhile) is an open question.
Changes:
Changed title from "not being able to read the windows update in windows 8" to "Windows Update control panel list items not reported until focus moved away from list once"

@bhavyashah
Copy link

With reference to the Windows Updates Windows8.1's Start Menu offered me on a search, I had no major updates available. However, there were 11 optional updates available, which link I pressed and received this in the NVDA log:
DEBUGWARNING - RPC process 3372 (explorer.exe) (20:38:17):
Thread 5620, build\x86_64\remote\sysListView32.cpp, nvdaInProcUtils_sysListView32_getGroupInfo, 28:
LVM_GETGROUPINFOBYINDEX failed
However, if this affects Narrator as well and appears to be a Windows bug as believed by @jcsteh, reporting it to Microsoft is perhaps all that can be done.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@mstopka, @josephsl I guess you are not using Windows 8 anymore, but if yes, could you see if this is still occuring in control pannel with NVDA 2019.1.1?

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

I can still partially reproduce it on Windows 8.1 that is when the list of updates gains focus the first update isn't reported. When arrow is pressed the next one is announced and after that it works normally.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Apr 2, 2023
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Support for Windows 8.1 has completely ended in January 2023, I don't expect further accessibility updates in this regard. I am closing as abandoned.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Apr 2, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. bug
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants