Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

allow user to add their own punctuation substitutions #2389

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 27, 2012 · 6 comments
Closed

allow user to add their own punctuation substitutions #2389

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 27, 2012 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ashleycox on 2012-05-27 09:40
Add a feature as part of the punctuation settings dialog that allows the user to add their own substitutions, much like the dictionary manager. This allows the user to add substitutions that are currently missing, such as the period in-word replacement.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-05-27 18:35
Are you talking about extending the symbols by adding new ones to a given locale? If so this might be quite difficult for anyone but the more expert to achieve. If there are symbols missing would it not be better to add them to the current files and just allow people to change what they are spoken as and which category they are in, etc. It can be quite confusing for users already.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ashleycox (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-05-27 18:54
I'm talking about adding a simple UI for adding symbols that are missing to the files. I tried adding this to the files manually;
in-word . dot char
but it didn't work.

Replying to briang1:

Are you talking about extending the symbols by adding new ones to a given locale? If so this might be quite difficult for anyone but the more expert to achieve. If there are symbols missing would it not be better to add them to the current files and just allow people to change what they are spoken as and which category they are in, etc. It can be quite confusing for users already.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-05-27 23:29
What do you mean by "period in-word"? There're already separate entries for ". sentence ending" and ".". I suspect the latter is the one you want to tweak.

In any case, we can only allow users to add simple symbol replacements; i.e. no regular expression matching.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2012-05-28 06:27
Well he needs to be editing it in notepad or similar, using other editors will not work of course.
I don't know what he means. I have come across symbols for telephone, fax etc, but not full stops. Obviously, if its behaviour he means then that is different.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Since the original author of this ticket is probably now out-of-reach and she unfortunately did not respond to @jcsteh's #2389 (comment), we remain unclear about what essentially is being requested. It is also worth noting that speech dictionaries does support regular expressions and the Puncctuation/Symbol Pronunciation dialog does allow adding of new characters for which a custom symbol level and pronunciation can be set. Thus, I suggest closing this ticket. @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 12, 2017

Closing, as @jcsteh said we can not allow for regular expression matching with symbols.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants