Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Embedded installer copies a lot of unneccessary files to the install path and then instalation fails #2391

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 28, 2012 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by pvagner on 2012-05-28 08:58
If the installer is launched by the user with limited privileges and then asks for administrative user privileges files from windows\system32 are copied to the nvda install path.

STR

• login as an user with non-admin privileges.
  • launch the nvda launcher package.
  • Accept the licence opt to install and click Continue.
  • As the embedded installer starts copying files windows displays a dialog asking for admin privileges. Type an administrative user's credentials and press ok.

Results
Installer window will be showing indifinate progress bar for a longer time than expected, NVDA wil beep. After a long while the install will fail.
NVDA install folder will be full of unnecessary system files at this point.

expected results
NVDA should install and avoid copying a bunch of unrelated files.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-05-28 11:24
Hmm, that is peculiar. I thought I'd tried this on XP but maybe the privelidges were wrong on the user. Sounds to me like the path is set at the start, but then windows changes it after the prompt and nvda does not notice.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by challsworth2 on 2012-05-28 11:46
I had the same problem as reported in ticket 2354 I think it is. This was on XP. This time though, I attempted to update NVDA from the RC to the same version, kind of simulating a repair install. Deleting the NVDA folder in Program Files solved it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by pvagner on 2012-05-28 11:52
as far as I've tested so far doing
import os; os.getcwdu()
in the python console gives still the same path, exactly the path to the folder inside %temp% folder where temporary copy of NVDA has been extracted into.
I can reproduce this all the time on xp, so I'm going to look at it if I can at least found the problem.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by pvagner (in reply to comment 2) on 2012-05-28 11:56
I am not getting this. have you problems installing or downloading the update?
Replying to challsworth2:

I had the same problem as reported in ticket 2354 I think it is. This was on XP. This time though, I attempted to update NVDA from the RC to the same version, kind of simulating a repair install. Deleting the NVDA folder in Program Files solved it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 (in reply to comment 2) on 2012-05-28 12:32
Replying to challsworth2:

Remember that if there have been issues which has left nvda in a strange state, it is often better to remove it and start again. Also of course when you are evaluating updating etc, it has to be borne in mind that until the temp copy runs you are still using the version with the bug in it.
The most recent version in the 2012.2 branch ending in 32 seems a lot more stable in this area, though not tried the issue on this ticket out as yet. I guess when windows asks for extra permissions it might actually be switching users at some level creating confusion on install from and to paths at that point.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2012-05-28 12:54
Replying to pvagner:

as far as I've tested so far doing

import os; os.getcwdu()

in the python console gives still the same path, exactly the path to the folder inside %temp% folder where temporary copy of NVDA has been extracted into.

Crap. When elevating to admin, a slave process is started. It is the slave process that has the wrong cwd. nvda_slave.pyw should chdir to sys.prefix at the top of main() if running from a binary build.

I'm not sure why this isn't a problem on Vista/7, but I can definitely see how it would break.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by mdcurran on 2012-05-29 01:32
Hopefully fixed in 78e0524. Please test, and close if so.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by pvagner on 2012-05-29 09:47
tested and working fine on my system.
thanks
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant