Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Links in list appear on separate lines when list items are floated #2407

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 3, 2012 · 3 comments
Open
Labels
bug feature/browse-mode p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by kredh on 2012-06-03 11:46
On www.nvda-project.org , the main menu with its link in a list appear on a single line. On other websites, though, like www.redmine.org , the links in list appear on separate lines (one link on a line).

I tried to figure out why (some other screen readers display the links in list on a single line, on both websites). The only thing I found is that, in the HTML source code, the main menu of the NVDA website is on a single line whereas each link of the Redmine project, for instance, is on a seperate line. But a new line in HTML should not be obtained without a
or others HTML tags. I think it's a bug and, I hope, not very hard to fix if it comes from NVDA and not from the browser itself.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-06-03 23:34
The problem relates to the way in which the list is made horizontal. On nvda-project.org, the list is made horizontal by setting the list items to display as inline elements. On redmine.org, the list items are floated to the left of each other. NVDA determines whether to render on the same line based on whether elements are inline, so the technique used on redmine.org isn't detected.

Rendering on the same line based on floating could be problematic, as this could be used to float anything; e.g. large chunks of text. In some cases, this could be undesirable.
Changes:
Changed title from "Some links in list appear on separate lines" to "Links in list appear on separate lines when list items are floated"

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh By #2407 (comment), could you please clarify if you were implying that this issue should be a wontfix/cantfix, or something else?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 14, 2017

There may be a way to fix this, but I don't know how. It also doesn't seem overly important. P4: we'll take a PR, but we can't prioritise this ourselves.

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Aug 14, 2017
@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Aug 14, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug feature/browse-mode p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants