Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA is unable to gain focus on new pages when form data has been previously entered #2413

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 7, 2012 · 14 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2012-06-07 09:02
Since upgrading to Firefox 13, I've noticed that when entering form data on a previous page (username, etc), NVDA is unable to gain focus on new pages when they're loaded. This only occurs when the new page that is loaded doesn't jump the browser directly to a new form (so, logging into Trac on this site works fine).

Previously, this issue could be overcome by simply hitting F6 twice; however, with FF 13, I have to alt-tab out of the window, and then go back in. While this does seem like a solution, it's far from ideal, in my opinion.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Jun 10, 2012

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-06-10 07:32
Does this only occur if the Firefox notification to remember password appears? This is covered by MozillaBug:699533, which has been fixed for Firefox 15.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-06-10 19:48
Replying to jteh:

Does this only occur if the Firefox notification to remember password appears? This is covered by MozillaBug:699533, which has been fixed for Firefox 15.

Yes, this is the only situation where I've seen this. I'll close as fixed.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-06-10 22:57
Already fixed, but making it clear that this was an external issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-08-30 11:19
Replying to jteh:

This is covered by MozillaBug:699533, which has been fixed for Firefox 15.

I've just upgraded to FF 15, and unfortunately it doesn't look as if this particular bug has been fixed; I still have to manually give focus back to the active window after password data has been entered.
Changes:
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by elliott94 on 2012-08-30 11:29
It looks as if this is a duplicate of MozillaBug:433028, which doesn't yet have a milestone set.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2012-08-31 00:34
If the Firefox remember password notification appears, you have to dismiss that before focus returns to the document. (Before FF 15, focus didn't return even if you dismissed it.) Are you doing this?

Of course, doorhangers ideally wouldn't get focus automatically. I'm chasing this issue up again with Mozilla.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 6) on 2012-08-31 10:49
Replying to jteh:

If the Firefox remember password notification appears, you have to dismiss that before focus returns to the document.

No. I assumed that like in previous versions, the page would automatically get focus. Sorry, my bad. :)

Interestingly, it looks as if MozillaBug:433028 was filed in 2008, but with previous versions of Firefox this wasn't an issue, but it looks from that bug as if it may have been a problem for other screen readers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Aug 31, 2012

Comment 8 by jteh (in reply to comment 7) on 2012-08-31 10:57
Replying to elliott94:

If the Firefox remember password notification appears, you have to dismiss that before focus returns to the document.

No. I assumed that like in previous versions, the page would automatically get focus. Sorry, my bad. :)

Well, it really should. I'll file a bug with Mozilla to get this fixed. The bug to allow this problem to be fixed was fixed (MozillaBug:653230), but the actual problem itself somehow got lost and was never fixed. Clear as mud? :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 8) on 2012-08-31 11:00
Replying to jteh:

Replying to elliott94:

Well, it really should. I'll file a bug with Mozilla to get this fixed. The bug to allow this problem to be fixed was fixed (MozillaBug:653230), but the actual problem itself somehow got lost and was never fixed. Clear as mud? :)

Yes. Lots of fixing and fixes there. :)

Do you have any ideas as to why this has been a problem for other screen readers for a while? It's mentioned in several comments of that particular bug.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Aug 31, 2012

Comment 10 by jteh on 2012-08-31 11:37
Filed MozillaBug:787364.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh @elliott94 Could you please update this ticket with the current status and progress made with regards to the related Mozilla bug(s)? If they have been fixed in recent versions of Firefox, then I suggest closing, otherwise wait till Jamie gets his hands on Firefox a11y officially in a couple months. :)

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 10, 2017

Still not fixed; no progress in over 4 years.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@elliott94, @jcsteh, is this still an issue?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 7, 2018

I actually think my last comment might have been incorrect. I think this has been fixed for a while, but we didn't realise it. In any case, it's definitely fixed now (the notifications no longer grab focus) and thus I closed the Mozilla bug recently.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants