Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Support role=alert in MSHTML #2442

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 12, 2012 · 13 comments
Closed

Support role=alert in MSHTML #2442

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 12, 2012 · 13 comments
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. app/internet-explorer enhancement p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mike_Eck@... on 2012-06-12 15:28
I'm working on making a dynamic web application accessible to the visually impaired via screen readers, and I'm running into a problem I hoping someone can help me with.

When I test my code (see below) with JAWS, it was works just fine, reading me the alert as I expect. But when I use NVDA, I'm getting the dynamically-added content is being read -twice- by the reader in Firefox, and not being read at all in IE9.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of behavior before? I'm using Firefox 13.0, NVDA 2012.1, and Windows 7 64-bit. I'm new at NVDA and coding markup for accessibility, so it is entirely possible that there's something goofy in my code as well.

Thanks, anyone, for any ideas you may have!
-Mike

<TITLE>Mike's Alert Test Page</TITLE> <script type="text/javascript"> function simulateErrors() { var elem = document.getElementById("inlineErrors");
                if (elem != null && elem != undefined) {
                    elem.innerHTML = '<DIV role="alert">I am some alert text.</DIV>';
                }
            }
    </script>       
    <H1>Test Page</H1>
    <DIV ID="inlineErrors"></DIV>
    <DIV ID="buttons">
        <input type="submit" value="Simulate Errors" onClick="simulateErrors()"/>
    </DIV>
</BODY>
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-06-13 03:57
Confirmed in Firefox 13. Appears to be fixed for Firefox 15 (not sure about 14).

NVDA doesn't currently support alerts and live regions in IE.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-08-01 23:18
Morphing ticket, since the Firefox issue is fixed in Firefox 15.
Changes:
Changed title from "role=alert text being read twice‏" to "role=alert not handled in IE"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-08-01 23:19
Changes:
Changed title from "role=alert not handled in IE" to "Support role=alert in MSHTML"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by nmatthews on 2013-04-16 15:40
I'm still seeing the dynamically generated text being read twice in Firefox 20.0.1

http://jsfiddle.net/LZfyk/

When the Simulate Errors button is pressed, NVDA speaks "I am some alert text. Alert. I am some alert text".

http://jsfiddle.net/K5H7v/37/

I've done some further investigation as well.

When the alert div contains the text directly, the content is read twice.
When the alert div contains a P block with the text, it is read once, after the word alert.
When the alert div contains a span block with the text, it is read twice, the same as if the text is entered directly.
The add multiple buttons are different tests for inserting multiple P blocks in the alert, and work as expected (since they are p blocks).

The problem I have here is that p blocks have semantic content, and have default CSS styling that affects how sighted users will see the alerts. This can be avoided with some CSS reset code, but it would be preferable to nest the text directly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2014-04-16 01:07
In [19fd268]:

Reverting a change from December 2009 commit 6c53a29d where IAccessible NVDAObject's name property was forced to contain content from IAccessibleText if there was no caret present.

This was supposed to allow focusable labels in Thunderbird to read nicer. However, this caused a long-standing issue where the content of alerts in web browsers would speak twice, and Thunderbird now seems to oddly expose a caret on the labels thus disabling the code change anyway.
Removing this code may possibly cause some other regressions as its very old. However, if regressions are found they should be handled specificly for each case, as clearly this code was too general.

Should be a fix re #3481. May affect re #2442, #2745

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-04-29 07:35
It looks like IE does fire alert events when a node loses display: none. It doesn't fire alert events for other cases. See this article for thorough coverage concerning this.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh @michaelDCurran Just to clarify, is support for role=alert insufficient only in case of Internet Explorer, or does this affect other modern web browsers as well? If recent versions of Firefox and Chrome also demonstrate the problem(s) reported, then this ticket can be triaged, but addressing IE specific deficiencies are no longer worthwhile.

@michaelDCurran
Copy link

This only affects IE. NV Access is not going to actively pursue a fix, but will accept a PR.

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Aug 14, 2017
@oleh-momot
Copy link

You can fix it if you will add display=none before to add your alert node to DOM
Then when you added the alert node you need to add content to this node and set display=block
It works on IE and other browsers too

@Adriani90 Adriani90 added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Mar 30, 2023
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Support for Internet explorer ended completely in 2022, and the browser is being removed automatically from machines that still have it after an Edge update in February 2023. I don't expect any further accessibility updates to Internet Explorer or the IE mode in Microsoft Edge. Closing as abandoned.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Mar 30, 2023
@XLTechie
Copy link
Contributor

XLTechie commented Mar 30, 2023 via email

@XLTechie
Copy link
Contributor

XLTechie commented Mar 30, 2023 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

As Mick commented above, this only affected Internet explorer as single application. If you can reproduce this issue with IE mode in MS Edge, please open a new issue with clear steps to reproduce.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. app/internet-explorer enhancement p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants