Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Alert of a change in system tray content. #2445

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 13, 2012 · 9 comments
Closed

Alert of a change in system tray content. #2445

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 13, 2012 · 9 comments
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. enhancement

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2012-06-13 08:38
It seems that as sighted folk will see, for example that a new user has logged in to aMiranda session and anti virus programs often alter their tray icons if they have changed state, that some form of alert to these changes would be very handy for us, rather than just having to go there periodically to see if there are any things we need to know.

Apologies if this has already been suggested, but could not find any enhancement exactly like this on the system. I don't know if this is even possible, but a little interesting blip noise might be very handy.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by dwillemv on 2012-06-13 08:49
Maybe this could be added to the existing SysTrayList add-on? The only issue I could see is that you should be able to turn it off for some icons. The battery notification comes to mind.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-06-13 09:07
Well don't you have to manually invoke the system tray add in? that would defeat the whole point of the idea. The basic idea is to give an alert that a change has occured, whether its a dropbox new file from a colaborator, some status message from anti virus, new miranda chat alert or whatever.
In a way, its something windows should have its always alerting you to stuff you don't care about but I suppose that is because the sighed can see the icons without any alert.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2012-06-13 09:09

That should have said sighted, but it didnt!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-06-13 09:38
It's true that sighted people can see a change, but unless the change is made obvious in some way, they won't know about it unless they're looking at that part of the screen. For example, if some text in the notification area just changes, they'd have to be looking for it to notice it. Also, consider that many programs are very dynamic in changes to their system tray icons; e.g. file retrieval applications that run in the background often include the download progress in their notification area icons. Being informed about these changes constantly would be unacceptable.

Signing into chat programs, etc. is different. I think these applications must flash the icon or use a balloon or similar. I'm leaving this open to investigate these cases, but the general idea of just reporting updates in all cases is wontfix, imo.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2012-06-13 12:09
OK point taken, maybe the best bet then is to have some mechanism in the app module that will alert of a change in the system tray icon for that app. I think anti virus chat progs and others that use it fairly sparingly could be nice to have.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Going case-by-case seems to be the only way of implementing this, and doing that sounds somewhat impractical, IMHO. @Brian1Gaff Do you agree to close this ticket as a wontfix? From a technical standpoint, I am not exactly sure how feasible it would be to dynamically report updates to System Tray icons of a specific set of programs.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Brian1Gaff is this still an issue? As far as I know most applications report their system tray icon status trhough Windows notifications or through own notifications like Dropbox for example.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Brian1Gaff this is just a reminder before closing this issue. Do you still see this problem? The newest versions of many applicatoins send their change status through windows notifications which is being reported by NVDA. Can you confirm?

@Adriani90 Adriani90 added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label May 2, 2020
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

No updates since years, closing as abandoned.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants