Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Allow NVDA to speak the bullets and numbering, and list levels in Microsoft Word lists #2446

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 13, 2012 · 20 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jhomme on 2012-06-13 11:00
In Microsoft Word, NVDA knows that a paragraph has the list paragraph stile and other list styles. It would be very helpful to know which list item you are reading, and what level in the list you are working with if you are dealing with a multi-level list, such as an outline. The same goes with bullets of various kinds.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2012-06-20 05:41
Please specificy what version of NVDA you tested with. NVDa 2012.1 and newer reads bullets and numbering. Though it is true it does not announce list levels.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jhomme (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-06-20 11:32
Replying to
mdcurran:

Please specificy what version of NVDA you tested with. NVDa 2012.1 and newer reads bullets and numbering. Though it is true it does not announce list levels.

Hi Mick,
I forget which build it was, but I'm sure it was after 2012.1, because it was with a snap shortly before 2012.2. I will test again with the latest snap I have or update when the program asks me to do so, then test. This is on Vista with Word 2007 in case it makes a difference. And I use NVDA Portable. Perhaps I have something set incorrectly to detect the numbers and bullets?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran on 2012-06-21 05:57
If you have report Lists turned off in document formatting seetings, the bullets and numbering will not speak (I think).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by surveyor (in reply to comment 3) on 2012-06-21 07:20
Replying to mdcurran:

If you have report Lists turned off in document formatting seetings, the bullets and numbering will not speak (I think).

As you can test with sample doc attached, NVDA doesn't report bullets and bullet type while navigating through the list even the setting about reporting lists enabled in document settings.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment NVDA_Sample.doc added by surveyor on 2012-06-21 07:22
Description:
a sample list style paragraph

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jhomme (in reply to comment 4) on 2012-06-21 11:20
Replying to surveyor:

Do we want to close this ticket and have a different one for list level? I do have list indication off. That's what was causing it. Right now I forget if NVDA was just speaking the bullets or if it was also indicating which kind of bullets they were. If you want, I can open a ticket for that, too.

Replying to mdcurran:

As you can test with sample doc attached, NVDA doesn't report bullets and bullet type while navigating through the list even the setting about reporting lists enabled in document settings.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mdcurran on 2012-08-20 20:09
The bullets in that document are rather strange. Do you know what kind of bullets you chose? they're certainly not the default.
NVDA is certainly detecting them, but most synths arn't speaking them. If you can tell me exactly what kind of bullet it is, we can probably add it to characterSymbols to be spoken more appropriately.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2012-08-20 23:41
Does the Unicode database help; e.g. unicodedata.name(char)?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 7) on 2012-08-21 00:34
Replying to jteh:

Does the Unicode database help; e.g. unicodedata.name(char)?

It doesn't seem to know it: ValueError: no such name.
It is \uf0fc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jhomme (in reply to comment description) on 2012-08-21 10:51
Hi,
I'm attaching a Word 2010 document that demonstrates list levels down to level 4. The document uses standard roman numbering. Each level of the list describes the level that should be spoken as part of the information that should go along with the list numbering. If you want to play with this further, you can go to the Home tab and find the Multi-level list area.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment List Level Demo.docx added by jhomme on 2012-08-21 10:53
Description:
Word document that demonstrates list level numbering

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by vrdhn on 2013-08-22 06:49
Added a partial fix to this.
Repository: https://bitbucket.org/manish_agrawal/nvda.git
branch: t2446
Depends on fix for #3290
Changes:
Added a function to map Word specific font ( Wingding ) to Unicode,
Added two common unicode bullet types to symbols.dic of en

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by vrdhn on 2015-09-13 06:07
Hi,

I've created a patch which will read level of bullets in Word and Powerpoint.

In speech.py, a new format field list-level is added, which should be integer
reperesenting level of list. It's value is used only if 'line-prefix'
format field is present ( indicating a bullet).

This field is populated from powerpoint and winword only.
For Word, this field is created from the C++ code for list items.

The fix does not work with character navigation.

The GIT repo is : https://bitbucket.org/manish_agrawal/nvda/
The branch is in_t2446

Thanks

@michaelDCurran
Copy link

Review:
The limitations of this implementation are that the level is announced for each new list item even if it has not changed, and the level is nnot announced when moving by character. Both of these could be fixed by doing the following:

• In winword.cpp: rather than fetching the list level when getting the bullet, fetch it with the initial format fields (i.e. when we fetch line numbers and alignment).
  • in speech.py: handle list-level like we handle alignment etc... don't limit it to the existence of line-prefix.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Since vrdhn is the author of the code which @michaelDCurran reviewed in #2446 (comment) but his Github username is unknown to me, could someone please mention him (or perhaps another NVDA India member) for the suggestions put forth by Mick to be incorporated?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Found out Vardhan's username - CC @vrdhn
Could you please take a look at @michaelDCurran's review suggestions provided in #2446 (comment) and make the necessary changes?

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Sep 13, 2017

See #6778, which supersedes the earlier PR.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@vrdhn, is your patch still needed? Could you please raise a pull request for NVDA and address the review comments above?
@dkager, any further comments on this issue?

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Nov 7, 2018

All I can say is that reporting list levels would be a nice productivity addition.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I Close this one in favor of #6815 where list Levels are covered. Also in favor of #7742 and #7804 where bullet reporting is covered.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

6 participants