Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Windows 8 start screen search doesn't read the first selected item #2457

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 17, 2012 · 11 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by tspivey on 2012-06-17 08:14
The start screen doesn't read the first item found for a search. For example, if I open it and start typing team,
I should land on TeamTalk 4 Classic. If I press enter at this point, that's the one that gets activated, but I don't hear the result.
Moving up and down the list works, although IMO the not selected spoken after everything is a bit misleading because pressing enter on the focused item opens it, regardless if I select it with space or not.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by dallasobrien on 2012-06-17 23:10
yes, i have noticed this also. and, to be correct, its not the start screen as such. its the search screen. as soon as you start typing on the start screen, the search screen pops up. and this can be triggered from anywhere in the system with keyboard shortcuts.
never the less, i to have noticed that it does not announce the first item you land on.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2012-06-18 05:03
When I go to the start screen and type

no

I then have to tab twice to get to the "all apps" list and focus is on notepad, and I can down arrow to sticky notes etc.

Trying to press down arrow after typing the search but before tabbing to the list does nothing for me, therefore focus has not moved off the search field.
If NVDA were just ignoring focus on the first item, down arrow should still jump to the second item.

Unless I'm not understanding, this is just a Windows 8 implementation issue, not really an NVDA one. Granted though it would be nice if it did focus on the first item like in Win7.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-06-18 06:33
Just to throw in a comparison point here, what does Narrator do?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by tspivey (in reply to comment 3) on 2012-06-18 07:25
Replying to jteh:

Just to throw in a comparison point here, what does Narrator do?

As I start typing notepad, it reads "notepad and other results found" for each keypress. for note, I have notepad and sticky notes. As I get to the p in notepad, the message changes to notepad found. An added benefit is I get position information as I arrow.

I'm not sure what's going on with mdcurran's system (comment 1). With both NVDA and narrator, I can down arrow directly from my search and end up on the second result in the list if there is one, otherwise on the list of things to search.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by dallasobrien on 2012-06-18 08:13
interestingly, i have had what mik is talking about happen, but not all the time. most of the time, down arrowing from the search edit field works.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mdcurran on 2012-06-18 09:55
Narrator seems to read a tooltip when results are found. We can probably do better at handling UIAutomation tooltips in general, but it does raise the issue of whether if report tooltips is off by (which it is by default) should this still be spoken? Recarding down arrow not working: I am running an older copy of win8 which I must update, perhaps the arrow thing changed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by dallasobrien on 2012-06-18 21:56
yes, windows 8 release preview is somewhat more complete then anything before it. i'd give it a go, as a few things have changed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by david on 2012-11-20 13:49
You may well be aware of the following information, but I'm adding this comment about where the results of the search are relative to the search box. I think it's useful for a screen reader to read out either the name of the first result (possibly including whether there is more than one) or that there are no results. The fact that the first result isn't automatically the focus is really strange, since you can press enter to open it.
I've been using microsoft inspect to look at the uia tree, with the view of the tree set to content view. The tree is slightly different from the simple review mode setting in nvda. Alas the tool doesn't seem to be accessible.
When searching for apps, from the search edit box:

1. Go up two parents to the "search" pane.
  2. Go to next child, which is "Start menu" pane.
  3. Go to last child, which is "all apps" list.
  4. Go to child, which if there are results is a group with the name of the first result, else text saying there aren't any results.
    When searching for settings or files, structure is similar, but some names are different:
  • the next child of the search pane is "settings search" pane and "file search" pane respectively.
  • the last child of these panes is "grid view" list.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by david on 2012-11-21 11:00
Just noticed that in the route from the search edit box to the results, the second step I gave is incorrect. The steps should be:

1. Go up two parents to the "search" pane.
  2. Go to next sibling, which is "Start menu" pane.
  3. Go to last child, which is "all apps" list.
  4. Go to child, which if there are results is a group with the name of the first result, else text saying there aren't any results.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by nvdakor on 2014-04-29 02:49
Hi,
For 8.0, yes, this issue might still exist; for 8.1, this issue has been fixed.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 8, 2017

As Windows 8.1 has superseded Windows 8, I am going to close this from @josephsl's comment in #2457 (comment) as worksforme

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants