Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Provide an option to disable braille flash messages #2482

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 22, 2012 · 17 comments
Closed

Provide an option to disable braille flash messages #2482

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 22, 2012 · 17 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aliminator on 2012-06-22 10:02
Provide an option to turn off braille flash messages at all. A Reason for this is users not wanting to read speech output on their braille displays.
This could be achieved by enabling the possibility of entering the message timeout in the braille settings dialogue to 0.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2012-06-23 01:54
I don't really think this is a good idea as there are many braille messages which are important in regards to success/failure of a script. Its not simply just about speech output.
E.g. toggling between focus and review for braille tethering (NVDA+control+t), the new setting would never show on the display.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by aliminator (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-06-25 07:37
Replying to mdcurran:
This might be true for people wanting to read current setting changes, but is this a usual case? Usually, people know what they are switching to.
However, flash messages can be very disturbing if one e.g. wants to hear the window title and, on the same time read the focussed object using braille.
Another situation where it is very disturbing is when someone is typing some text and tooltips in the systemtray appear so that NVDA reads it and as such, it is displayed as flash message. In this case it is very difficult to use (e.g. Miranda) with other aapplications especially when incoming messages appear frequently.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran on 2012-07-02 01:09
What about if a way to immediately dismiss the current message was implemented? (e.g. pressing a routing key).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Bernd on 2012-07-02 18:37
Isn't it implemented yet? If I press NVDA+f12 to read the time on my handytech braille display the time will be dismissed if I press any rooting key. If I press left or right key It woun't be dissmissed for the configured time in the braille settings dialog. As I know, it's nowwhere noted in the userguide.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by aliminator on 2012-07-04 07:31
It is not noted neither in the English nor in the German version of the user guide. It works though.
Nevertheless, that option should be provided. Users not wanting to have flash messages have to press routing keys permanently to dismiss them.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2012-07-06 02:15
It's worth noting that it's theoretically possible for code to display braille messages that aren't spoken. In this case, you wouldn't know about the message at all.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by aliminator on 2012-08-02 08:59
True, but a more advanced user does not want to read any flash messages because he knows what kind of flash messages will appear. The point here is just to provide the possibility to turn off them completely if the user wishes.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by aliminator on 2013-05-23 07:43
There is a patch attached which handles this. 0 can be entered in the braille settings dialogue and no flash messages are shown on the braille display. Values greater than null would work as exptected.
Please integrate it in the next release.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment messagetimeout.patch added by aliminator on 2013-05-23 07:44
Description:
Patch settingsDialogs.py and braille.py.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by halim on 2013-05-23 09:48
I also confirm. Patch works.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2013-05-27 06:28
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2013.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2013-05-28 05:45
In [d30a09b]:

You can now disable displaying of NVDA messages on a braille display by setting the message timeout to 0 in the Braille Settings dialog.

Patch from Ali-Riza Ciftcioglu with documentation by me.
Fixes #2482.

Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh on 2013-05-28 05:46
Thanks for the patch! It'd be fantastic if you could include English documentation updates in future.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by aliminator on 2013-06-04 10:24
Oops, the config is saved but when restarting NVDA, NVDA warns about invalid configuration and replaces it with default value (4) when clicking ok. Hence, changed min value for timeout to 0. See patch attached.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment message.patch added by aliminator on 2013-06-04 10:26
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh on 2013-06-04 10:53
Changes:
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2013-06-05 20:53
In [3a0fe8f]:

Fix error when loading configuration with braille message timeout set to 0.

The config validation must handle 0 as well.
Fixes #2482.

Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants