Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not see document contents in Reader metro app #2498

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 27, 2012 · 6 comments
Closed

NVDA does not see document contents in Reader metro app #2498

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 27, 2012 · 6 comments
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. bug

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by pitermach on 2012-06-27 20:27
Just open any PDF file in the new reader app in Windows 8. NVDA will say the document has focus, but will not read anything. This does work fine with Narrator, which suggests an issue with NVDA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2012-06-27 22:50
Unless something has changed, you should be able to use text review commands to read the document. I don't believe that app has an actual system caret so simply using the arrow keys is out of the question with out very specific support for that app. Its not simple enough to assume that NVDA will work with it just because Narrator may have custom support.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by erion (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-06-27 23:03
Replying to mdcurran:

I don't believe that app has an actual system caret so simply using the arrow keys is out of the question with out very specific support for that app. Its not simple enough to assume that NVDA will work with it just because Narrator may have custom support.

As far as I know Narrator is able to retrieve text with its own cursor.
However, since metro apps on the surface are html documents, isn't it possible to load their content into a NVDA buffer? At the moment this does not happen, thus a lot of metro apps are not really accessible, e.g. the mail app, calendar, etc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2012-07-09 05:15
Replying to erion:

However, since metro apps on the surface are html documents

My understanding is that not all Metro apps are HTML, but I could be wrong about this. Certainly, if the app is HTML based, it should already be rendered in browse mode.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by erion (in reply to comment 3) on 2012-07-09 07:37
Replying to jteh:

My understanding is that not all Metro apps are HTML, but I could be wrong about this.

According to http://www.developer.com/net/considerations-for-building-windows-8-metro-applications.html a metro app can be developed also in XAML. I'm not sure if this is rendered to html though. I seem to recall that this is also used in WPF apps where it is.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 5, 2017

@josephsl, do you know if Metro apps have been officially superseded by UWD apps or whether they are still supported by Microsoft?

@Adriani90 Adriani90 added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Feb 15, 2023
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I am closing this issue as abandoned, probably metro apps have significantly changed since this issue has been reported, and we don't have any updates on the current situation since years. Microsoft officially announced that that technology is now integrated into the UWP app environment. Many old metro apps have been discontinued and replaced by UWP apps, see for example metrotweet. Please open a new updated issue if there is any issue with a specific app and we can start the discussion from there.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Feb 15, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. bug
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants