Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add option to override existing add-on on add-on installation #2501

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 1, 2012 · 5 comments
Closed

Add option to override existing add-on on add-on installation #2501

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 1, 2012 · 5 comments
Assignees
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. enhancement
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ragb on 2012-07-01 16:28
Currently, when trying to install an add-on that is already installed (with the same name), NVDA gives an error and instructs the user to remove the existing add-on. It would be good to provide an option to override the existing add-on (remove the previous one and install the "new version"). This is useful when updating add-ons, for instance. I can do that if people agree.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2012-07-02 01:50
I think it sounds okay to me. Note though that just like doing it manually, the two addons are going to take up double the space before you restart though. This may be miss-leading especially with big addons like Vocalizer. However, in the long-term I guess we could consider doing some disc space checks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2012-08-08 05:22
Implemented in f185f3d.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-08-08 05:25
Any objections to changing this message so that it refers to updating the add-on, rather than removing/replacing? I get that this is what happens under the hood, but users are more likely to understand "updating".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2012-08-08 05:31
But both add-ons will take up double the disc space also, so its not exactly update, even physically to the user.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-08-08 05:33
Sure, but that'll be rectified when they restart NVDA (which they are asked to do) and that's just part of the process. Technically, installing an NVDA update takes up extra disk space until it is installed as well, but we still call it updating.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added enhancement Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. labels Nov 10, 2015
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2012.3 milestone Nov 10, 2015
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants