Navigation Menu

Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

when using the insert key to read lines overwrite mode becomes active #2510

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 7, 2012 · 8 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by csm120 on 2012-07-07 03:30
When using the insert key to read line etc overwrite mode becomes active. I have seen this happen in MsWord, wordpad, notepad, and even web forms. I would love to see a way to stop this from happening as it can be disconcerting to see that part of your document has been eaten. I realize that you can use the capslock key for the same things, but I like the flexibility of insert or capslock.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by ondrosik on 2012-07-07 05:33
Is there any particular keystroke, which are you using or it does not matter and this works (or better don't work) for all NVDA keystrokes like insert+t? I played arrount with it in notepad and only one way how to switch from normal mode to overwrite is to press nvda+F2 (so NVDA will not handle the next key and it will bipass it to windows dyrectly) and press insert.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-07-07 07:34
Are you certain you aren't double tapping insert quickly? This will pass the insert key through.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2012-07-07 07:48
Unless its Windows 8 only, I've not had this issue. However on somone elses computer this turned out to be a keyboard on its last legs. those based on membranes can give double actions on often used keys if the track where it bends under the key has a crack in it. Might be worth trying another keyboard before looking for a bug.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by csm120 on 2012-07-07 12:39
I have tried simply pressing the insert key once, and I still seem to get the overwrite mode turned on. This even happens on the web. I've seen this on win8, and 7, but have not tested on xp. I have tried this on many pcs, and with different keyboards.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2012-07-07 13:17
I cannot get it on XP here. Could it be something to do with the locale' set on the computers?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by csm120 on 2012-07-07 14:49
Not sure, I don't use other languages other than English.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh The original author of this ticket is now out-of-reach and this ticket is over five years old, leading me to believe that it is very likely that this issue may have been resolved over the years, because such a bug would have been regularly reported were it non-exclusive to csm120. Thus, I suggest closing. @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 12, 2017

Closing, as the ticket is over 5 years old and I do not recall this issue being reported before.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants