Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Option to suppress speaking of "blank" for blank lines #2522

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 11, 2012 · 12 comments
Closed

Option to suppress speaking of "blank" for blank lines #2522

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 11, 2012 · 12 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by forcric on 2012-07-11 08:50
Nvda implementing a way to suppress the showing of blank lines. one can stop the blank line from being announced but you still have silence as you go over the line. It wold help when reading line by line.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-07-25 08:05
Changes:
Changed title from "Nvda being able to suppress showing of blank lines." to "Option to suppress speaking of "blank" for blank lines"

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@feerrenrut Do you consider this feature request accepted, or do we require further discussion on its UX, usage case, value, etc.?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 9, 2017

If this is specifically for browse mode, this is being addressed in #6704.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

It's a shame that there isn't a specific example of where the reporter expected this to apply. I would assume they were asking for this behaviour across the board.

@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

For me I find a place where this would be very interesting.
Using outlook 2016 I get several emails that have a huge amount of empty lines, this I believe due to how the navigation mode of the nvda deals with these emails.
Being able to suppress empty lines in this case would speed up reading these emails much better.
These emails are very common coming from social networks like faceboo ,, linkdyn.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@feerrenrut I suppose the original reporter was requesting this universally.
@fernando-jose-silva I believe there is some confusion with regards to what this ticket encompasses. NVDA says 'blank' for every blank line it encounters. The request being made here is to suppress the speaking of 'blank' so that NVDA would stay silent when one is arrowing down a chunk of empty lines. On the other hand, what you seem to be suggesting is for NVDA to suppress the blank lines themselves, such that NVDA would directly jump over a block of such blank lines and move ahead of the emptiness.

@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

fernando-jose-silva commented Aug 14, 2017 via email

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@fernando-jose-silva No, that feature request has already been made in #4904.

@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

fernando-jose-silva commented Aug 20, 2017 via email

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Apr 20, 2021

I had a request from a user for this feature. It is most noticeable in some emails in Outlook. Is this still being considered as something to be added to NVDA?

@XLTechie
Copy link
Contributor

XLTechie commented Apr 20, 2021 via email

@Qchristensen
Copy link

This seems to be the same request as #4904. I'm going to close this issue as a duplicate, even though it is older, as #4904 links to many of the other duplicate issues where this one doesn't. Also the original requested solution (a document settings option to skip blank lines) is clearer in #4904.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants