Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Remote NVDA like Remote assistance on Windows #2557

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 25, 2012 · 9 comments
Closed

Remote NVDA like Remote assistance on Windows #2557

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 25, 2012 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by nvdakor on 2012-07-25 03:13
Hi,
A suggestion brought on one of the language forums: would it be possible to create a remote NVDA feature where one user of NVDA on one computer can control NVDA installation on another computer, similar to functions on other screen readers and Windows Remote Assistance?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-07-25 06:02
I think it'd make more sense to try to integrate with another solution (e.g. Windows Remote Assistance) rather than completely rolling our own. Note that if you can bring sound from the remote computer to the local computer like you can with Remote Desktop, you can already use NVDA on a remote machine to some extent, though it's obviously somewhat laggy and doesn't work for braille.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-07-25 08:30
I thought there was a ticket already for being able to use nvda on a remote machine via some software. Ideally though it would be great if all the remote machine needed was a little free download to be able to communicate, ie not needing a fully fledged screenreader on the other end, as many would not want that if sighted.

I'm often asked if I can help remotely, and at the moment the anser really is no.
Brian

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Brendon22 on 2012-07-25 09:31
Hi,
Just a little thought. Why not make an Add-On for NVDA that does this. And put it up as an Add-On on the NVDA Add-On's Page. And anyone that wants it can just download it from there. Just a little thought! :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by parham on 2012-07-25 10:58
I agree. An NVDA add-on is better because not everyone would want to have such a feature. When they do need it, they can just install the add-on.

Either that, or we can have an option in NVDA to "allow remote connections".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by nvdakor on 2014-04-29 02:54
Hi,
Ticket #3564 includes a slightly more technical discussion. The idea presented there is to use virtual channel to bring speech data over to local NVDA.
In fact, someone has started working on an add-on. The repo can be found at:
http://bitbucket.org/nvdaaddonteam/remoteAccess
P.S. Would 3564 block this ticket or the other way around?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-04-29 04:14
While there are common concepts, unless there is a decent remote access solution (other than Remote Desktop) that allows you to communicate arbitrary data, we'll have to at least partially build our own. I think these are related, but probably not dependent.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

As of 2017, we have the NVDA Remote add-on (CC @tspivey) and there exists another ticket requesting for the incorporation of this add-on's functionality into core. Time to close? @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 9, 2017

I am not sure if this should be closed quite yet, as @jcsteh thoughts in #2557 (comment), while there are common concepts, #3564 is related, but probably not dependent.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 10, 2017

Closing as a duplicate of #4390, since it is more recent and talks about integration fo NVDA Remote, rather than rolling something completely new.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants