Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Bug with NVDA reading website: coursera #2566

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 29, 2012 · 4 comments
Closed

Bug with NVDA reading website: coursera #2566

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 29, 2012 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by miahtech on 2012-07-29 03:04
This could be a website that isn't coded as it should be, but even so, it'd be nice if something were put in to prevent this behavior.
When you go to the web page https://www.coursera.org/course/qcomp
NVDA starts reading "blank blank blank" while on that page, and will not stop until you navigate away from the page.
I am using Firefox nightly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-07-29 08:50
This behaviour does not occur on Internet Explorer 8, and on FF 3.6 you can navigate the text in the page, but when you stop scrooling or stop the automatic reading all you get is blank repeatedly.
I also note that when you find the play video heading its not apparent that its a link, but it does work.
I'm using windows XP so I don't think its operating system related. More of a page template issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-07-29 23:58
I only get blank a few times here, rather than continuous. I'm using Firefox 17pre.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but I definitely see really stupid usage of live regions. They've wrapped pretty much the entire page in a live region. I'm leaning towards a wontfix for this alone; we can't compensate for terrible authoring like this. However, I would like to know why we're hearing blank instead of something else, so I'm leaving open to investigate.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2012-07-30 08:47
I think if you cursor down the page at some point the blank is spoken all the time, well I left it running for 2 minutes and by then I felt suicidal. Its not happening in IE though.

Its in FF from 3.6 to 15 the version range I have here, though its a bit easier to break in and cursor around in the early version than in the later ones.
Sounds like a loop.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 20, 2017

Looks like the original link does not exist anymore. Sounds to be invalid, unless there is another site that experiences the same behavior.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants