Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Drag and Drop Addons into the Addonsmanager to install them #2579

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 2, 2012 · 10 comments
Closed

Drag and Drop Addons into the Addonsmanager to install them #2579

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 2, 2012 · 10 comments
Assignees
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. enhancement

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Bernd on 2012-08-02 16:38
Would it be possible to pick up Addons with mouse and drop the file in to the Addonsmanager?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by ondrosik on 2012-08-04 07:40
I am not sure about advantage of this feature. Drag and drop is in my opinion not favourite way for blind users. But I am not understanding clearly how will the drag and drop help improve the addons manager dialog.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Bernd on 2012-08-05 10:08
A visually impared person requested it. It is possible for example in Firefox and other programms so other persons sith minimal sight will try it. Specially with portable versions of nvda where you can't press enter on the Addon when 2012.3 is released.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ondrosik on 2012-08-11 12:07
you really can not press enter when selecting an addon? That is really strange behavior. Does this happend also in general, e. g. in other applications or it is related only for addons manager dialog?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Bernd (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-12-24 12:11
Replying to ondrosik:

you really can not press enter when selecting an addon? That is really strange behavior. Does this happend also in general, e. g. in other applications or it is related only for addons manager dialog?

oh my mistake. I thaught this feature would only work on installed copies.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-12-24 12:13
It does only work for installed copies.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added enhancement Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. labels Nov 10, 2015
@bhavyashah
Copy link

Dragging and dropping is not a typical method used by the average visually impaired computer user, but this addition might be nice to have for a sighted NVDA user. Thoughts? @feerrenrut @Qchristensen

@Qchristensen
Copy link

While I'm not against the idea, I wonder how many users would take advantage of it compared to the resources to implement it?

If I was redesigning the add-ons dialog, I'd probably look first at whether we could display the add-ons listed at https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html directly in the window and enable them to be installed directly from there, rather than linking to the page where users have to download manually.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Pressing enter on an addon and installing it works also in a portable version, at least for me it works. I am not against this idea, I think there will be more discussions on this after carret and focus highlight is implemented by @LeonarddeR.
cc: @nishimotz

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented May 4, 2023

cc: @seanbudd, @nvdaes, @CyrilleB79 I think this might have to be thought about also for the UX design of the new add-ons store Especially if we have two lists in the GUI, one with available add-ons and one with the installed add-ons. I guess it might be very user friendly to be able to select, drag and drop multiple add-ons from available list into the installed list, at least for people with visual capabilities or for people with learning difficulties. However, this might need a confirmation dialog like "do you really want to install this add-on(s)?"

@seanbudd
Copy link

seanbudd commented May 4, 2023

@Adriani90 - we do not display available and installed add-ons side-by-side. Also as a sighted user, I would find pressing the install button on an available add-on much more natural than dragging them between lists.

Drag/drop is much more typical for file upload - e.g. dragging from File Explorer to NVDA.
With that scenario - you don't even need to drag - clicking an add-on file opens it in NVDA.

I am closing this as won't fix - a user can open an NVDA add-on file to install it in NVDA in any scenario where they could drag/drop instead.

@seanbudd seanbudd closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale May 4, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants